PDA

View Full Version : DSL and FC4

Rick069
26th September 2005, 07:11 PM
This question might have been already answered, but I can't find it while searching the forums. Anyway, I'm installing DSL, but would rather install it on fc4 than windoze and I just wanted to know how I would set up the connection and where would I key in a username and password? I'm using the ethernet interface of course.

nyinge
26th September 2005, 07:31 PM
Your NIC's driver should most likely be found and detected by FC4, and grab the ip automatically, providing that DHCP on the router is correctly set. Look into the output of ifconfig, and see if you've got the correct IP.

Edit: Are you connecting through a router or directly to your DSL modem?

Rick069
26th September 2005, 07:44 PM
I'm connecting directly to the dsl modem and need to know if there is a place where I input a username and password.

nyinge
26th September 2005, 08:01 PM
Oh, I see your point now. I remember how ISPs would ship a software with their service to configure your login and stuff, but that's only for Windows. Normally, if you use a router, it has a page for setting it up in its settings. I'm sorry I could be of no further help on this matter, since I'm connecting through a router, and my ISP wouldn't require a username/password login. Someone please shed more light on this...

Rick069
26th September 2005, 09:28 PM
Oh, I see your point now. I remember how ISPs would ship a software with their service to configure your login and stuff, but that's only for Windows. Normally, if you use a router, it has a page for setting it up in its settings. I'm sorry I could be of no further help on this matter, since I'm connecting through a router, and my ISP wouldn't require a username/password login. Someone please shed more light on this...
On fc4, I went to System Tools -->Internet Connection Wizard

I'm then presented with a list of device types and I guess I have to choose between an ethernet connection or a xDSL connection. I go further into the dsl connection type and am presented with what ethernet device I'd like to set up, provider name, login name and password. I guess this is what I was looking for. I could go no further because I don't yet have my dsl line or connection prepared and that won't come until Oct. 10. If you got fc4, you can see what I'm talking about.

imdeemvp
27th September 2005, 09:33 AM
Here is how to connect your DSL: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19352