PDA

View Full Version : Which do you use Gnome or KDE?

jsimmonds
26th September 2005, 12:43 AM
I'm using Fedore Core 3 and Personally I prefer Gnome for my X Server, I think it has a much nicer user interface than KDE.

Does anyone use any other X servers apart from these two?

RedFedora
26th September 2005, 12:53 AM
I use KDE most of the time. For whatever reason, I find it suites me better than
Gnome does. For gaming and other speed issues I'll sometimes use Xfce.
I think the big selling point for me was the KDE control panel.

maclinux
26th September 2005, 01:07 AM
KDE's interface is much cooler than GNOME's but KDE has more bloat than GNOME. Also for me KDE is more buggy than GNOME.

jim
26th September 2005, 01:13 AM
KDE never loaded for me since RH9

Been with Gnome and E since

mrtaber
26th September 2005, 01:17 AM
I prefer the Gnome Way :)

Mark

gerardrubio
26th September 2005, 01:33 AM
Fluxbox, fast & lightweight

Panayiotis
26th September 2005, 01:37 AM
I use Gnome because it is simple and beautifull. KDE is just "too much".

syborg
26th September 2005, 02:14 AM
I believe it was in the late 1990's that I switched from Gnome to KDE. I used Gnome until Nautilus came along. Nautilus took too long to load the contents of a directory so I switched to KDE which was much faster at that time on my hardware and I have not used Gnome since then.

Firewing1
26th September 2005, 03:06 AM
I like kde apps but hate kde interface. So i install KDE & gnome, and login gnome :)
Firewing1

eiki
26th September 2005, 03:11 AM
Dorf... eh Gnome all the way :P

Check out my images :D

Something I miss from KDE tho is the ability to have the wallpaper changed at random from a selection after X time.. unless there is a way to that I don't know about?

allensco
26th September 2005, 03:50 AM
KDE for me...just never could get my head wrapped around Gnome..although I have tried...really! :)

mach_zero
26th September 2005, 03:57 AM
Fluxbox, fast & lightweight

Ditto, about 95% of the time. Other 5% I'm in GNOME. I agree that KDE is "too much".

iamroot
26th September 2005, 04:12 AM
How about Enlightenment?

MP Nesto
26th September 2005, 02:15 PM
Dorf... eh Gnome all the way :P

Check out my images :D

Something I miss from KDE tho is the ability to have the wallpaper changed at random from a selection after X time.. unless there is a way to that I don't know about?

I found a package capable of doing that last night. I'm at work right now, so when I get home I will find the link for you :)

Later,
MP Nesto

Spearhead
26th September 2005, 02:28 PM
Gnome for me most of the time currently, though i have both installed on my systems because of the different apps i use.

jgionet
26th September 2005, 02:55 PM
last week was my first time using KDE again since a few years ago.. I was pretty impressed by how far it had advanced.. I still do love Gnome :)
I think KDE is ideal for users switching from Windoze..

Twey
26th September 2005, 04:22 PM
KDE is big, slow, and bloated. I use it because I have a fairly powerful machine that can cope with it. I like GNOME, but it's just not as pretty :p I used to use Fluxbox, and I still do, when I just can't be bothered to wait for KDE to load, but can't do what I want to do in a CLI.

mick
26th September 2005, 04:39 PM
Used KDE until I did a Debian install with Gnome as the default. Liked it so much that I kept it during the switch to FC1. Have used it ever since, but still have KDE for certain apps and E17 for eye candy. That way, things don't get boring...

sailor
26th September 2005, 04:39 PM
KDE for me...I don't find KDE bloated or slow, just includes the things that gnome doesn't, and in my experience it is faster and has far more options to tweak and customize.

But then again it may be because I have the CPU and Memory to handle it...In the TUX Magazine Peoples Choice awards it was voted the favorite desktop...

Elv13
26th September 2005, 04:55 PM
less ressource, more speed,

steve1961
26th September 2005, 07:11 PM
There's something about the KDE bouncing cursor that turns me cold. Gnome feels far more intuitive and I find it much easier, and more comfortable to use.

iamroot
27th September 2005, 06:18 AM
There's something about the KDE bouncing cursor that turns me cold. Gnome feels far more intuitive and I find it much easier, and more comfortable to use.

I agree with that=)

nyinge
27th September 2005, 07:09 AM
I prefer Gnome for it's clean and uncluttered interface, but if you wanna have a cool looking GUI, KDE is your choice. :)

Edit: But IMO, KDE resembles the Windows GUI. There are a lot of similarities between them. So I would probably suggest using KDE for XP-GUI lovers. ;)

nyinge
27th September 2005, 07:11 AM
What do you mean by the bouncing cursor? curious enough :D

SlowJet
27th September 2005, 07:47 AM
Try using Windowmaker on the root Gnome for a different experience. :)
WM is in Extras.
SJ

mr700
27th September 2005, 07:54 AM
I first tried KDE, KDE 1.x. Then gnome became more customizabe and I switched, but when KDE 3.x appeard, I switched again (I tried every new FC version). KDE is heavier, true, but I can not live without konsole, kate, kopete and so on... and why in gnome a slider goes left when I scroll with my mouse wheel up (gnomeradio)?

steve1961
27th September 2005, 08:13 AM
What do you mean by the bouncing cursor? curious enough :D

As soon as you open an application the cursor bounces up and down - at least it did the last time I tried KDE.

Zigzagcom
27th September 2005, 08:32 AM
Hey, I get a bouncing page in gedit all the time, (using Gnome), and it is rather annoying. When I scroll down a page of text and want to insert the cursor at a point the whole page bounces back to the top. Then I have to scroll back down. Ain't that funny, or what?

msimplay
27th September 2005, 08:39 AM

There is one solution and quite a simple one just turn the bouncing cursor off :rolleyes:

philip_w
27th September 2005, 09:22 AM
I've been using Gnome for awhile and it's been great. I'm looking at giving kde a shot sometime though.

philip_w

Mat
27th September 2005, 10:18 AM
I'm using Fedore Core 3 and Personally I prefer Gnome for my X Server, I think it has a much nicer user interface than KDE.

Does anyone use any other X servers apart from these two?

those are not X servers, they are Desktop Environments...
besides, use the search button to find the millions of threads on this topic!

mig10k
27th September 2005, 11:00 AM
most of you have powerfull pcs, maybe mine is the weakest.
2400+ sempron, 512ddr333, radeon9550GE, sb live24.
i use KDE because i can make it look what ever i want. i don't like the ideea of some of you that is to much windows like. On my computer is 100% KDE-QT like, and i saw some screenshuts that i almost confused with the latest MAC OS.
on my pc KDE runs faster then gnome because i found how to make it faster + i find more applications for kde the for gnome. i've had them both most of the time installed on my pc since 1997 when i got my first PC. KDE 1.x was way faster then Gnome 1.x Maybe Gnome 3.x will be closer to KDE 3.x, but KDE 4 is almost ready, so GNOME is way back in time. :))

MP Nesto
27th September 2005, 01:57 PM
I liked iceWM back in the day too.

nyinge
27th September 2005, 06:35 PM
In the matter of one GUI being faster than the other, I think it all comes down to an individual's personal customization. I believe both KDE and GNOME are very customizable. I believe we can strip all the fancy stuff on KDE to a point that it becomes faster and uses less resources than GNOME. I don't have much experience with KDE, so correct me if I'm wrong though. :)

tomcat
27th September 2005, 06:50 PM
I use Gnome 90% of my time, some other 8% with E17 (when I am in a "play around" mood) and 2% using the command line only.

ace2005
27th September 2005, 07:06 PM
on my pc KDE runs faster then gnome because i found how to make it faster

How? :confused:

razi
27th September 2005, 07:09 PM

Mine is 750 MHz, runs kde just fine :).

I find the really cool thing about KDE is the dcop.

jamdusr
27th September 2005, 07:41 PM
Up until about a year an a half ago I mostly ran kde tried fluxbox (which I liked) and gnome.I was re-introduced to the latest gnome (at the time 2.8) with FC3 and now gnome is all I use. Gnome 2.10 (in ubuntu) is excellant too. I'll have to make the jump to FC4.

Christy
28th September 2005, 02:13 AM
I use em both. Started with KDE and have used it most, but I just got out of Gnome phase (wanted to mess around with gdesklets and making things look pretty). Decided that I can make KDE look prettier (in my opinion)...and have gdesklets running in KDE (have tried Superkaramba...didn't like it as much)

edit: yes, my main goal in Linux is to make it look pretty - Windows (I hear those gasps!) is generally my "get school work done" OS because I use GIS/image analysis packages that are Windows programs at school. So Linux is my break from school work, go have a little fun OS :)

jondsm
28th September 2005, 04:49 AM
I personally like both, I can't decide which one to use more often.

Demz
28th September 2005, 04:52 AM
i myself use Gnome . easier to locate stuff i use more regularly, but on occasions i do use KDE

daihard
28th September 2005, 05:55 AM
KDE for me. I tried GNOME, but it never grew on me. The KDE interface is much more professional and much more customizable than that of GNOME, at least for me. For instance, could you do something like this with GNOME (i.e. transparent panel, WindowMaker-like minimised icons, custom fonts, etc)?

http://daihardM3.home.comcast.net/images/kdedt_20050903.jpg

(I'm truly curious. If you can do something similar with GNOME, I'd be willing to give that a try.)

floberg
28th September 2005, 06:34 AM
I just love the way Gnome looks. KDE is not that neat (if you ask me). BUT... I use KDE anyway. Its all about work... KDE got almost all good apps... And its easy to work with (like fish:// for example).

So, I go KDE most of the time (when not using Solaris, then I use Gnome).

/Flo

uslug
29th September 2005, 06:29 PM
Gnome is more simple and useful...KDE means lots of unnecessary applications and florid themes and icons which are unneeded for me...

tonyingesson
29th September 2005, 07:53 PM

Mine's a 733 Mhz / 392 MB RAM and I use KDE. I haven't noticed any significant difference in speed between KDE and Gnome though. KDE takes a little while to start (hardly more than Windoze though) but once that's over and done with, it runs very smoothly.

eiki
29th September 2005, 09:55 PM
KDE for me. I tried GNOME, but it never grew on me. The KDE interface is much more professional and much more customizable than that of GNOME, at least for me. For instance, could you do something like this with GNOME (i.e. transparent panel, WindowMaker-like minimised icons, custom fonts, etc)?

http://daihardM3.home.comcast.net/images/kdedt_20050903.jpg

(I'm truly curious. If you can do something similar with GNOME, I'd be willing to give that a try.)

Yes it can, realy easily. I find gnome's panel faster/easier to set up the way I want and look pretty.

weinerdogus
29th September 2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by steve1961[
There's something about the KDE bouncing cursor that turns me cold.

Ive tried KDE numerous times and that cursor keeps chasing me away!

mrtaber
29th September 2005, 11:25 PM
I prefer the Gnome Way :)

Mark

Well, my how things change. I still appreciate Gnome's austere beauty, but I have learned to love KDE. I thought I'd give it a try, and FC makes a kick-butt KDE workstation (especially now that it's running KDE 3.4.2). I like. And it looks as though KDE 4 (think, a year or so from now) has some exciting things on the horizon.

Mark :)

P.S. -- I'm notoriously fickle, so don't be surprised, after my smashing success with KDE, if I'm back to Gnome in another post ;)

mrtaber
29th September 2005, 11:27 PM
Ive tried KDE numerous times and that cursor keeps chasing me away!

That behavior can be turned off in the Control Center, under Appearance & Themes > Launch Feedback. There are several choices (including "No busy cursor").

Mark :)

Papoon
30th September 2005, 04:20 AM
Very interesting and useful discussion. I've been using KDE almost exclusively since I started dabbling in Linux a year and some ago, but I have encountered some problems: KDE-based apps (Konqueror, Quanta) not working after upgrades, and lately KDE has lost its ability to tell local time. I see that Gnome users outnumber KDE users by a margin of almost 2:1. I think I'll switch, try Gnome for a while, see if that works any better.

Grateful to all of yuz for your thoughts.

Spats
30th September 2005, 09:10 AM
Gnome suits FC4 and myself just fine

daihard
30th September 2005, 09:12 AM
Yes it can, realy easily. I find gnome's panel faster/easier to set up the way I want and look pretty.
Thanks. Is there a good place to look at in order for me to learn how to do it?

x2p
30th September 2005, 11:50 AM
i use genome gui.Problay becuase im a newb..

Xertam
30th September 2005, 12:01 PM
i use WindowMaker. It''s pretty fast and i don't like to wait for the startup of gnome or kde. Got used to it when i only had a 200 Mhz cpu and got to like it!

iamroot
30th September 2005, 12:44 PM
GNOME isn't just for "newbies". I think it's pointless to argue whether GNOME is better than KDE or vice-versa. You just use whichever you are most comfortable with.

eiki
30th September 2005, 01:05 PM
Personally I'd just like gnome development to go faster :P There's still lot of improvements to be made and I feel its taking too long for new updates.. (rythmbox able to edit id3 tags comes to mind :P)

Shadow Skill
30th September 2005, 02:08 PM
I use Openbox and E17 although I think I will try E16 on my Laptop because configuring the menu by hand all the time is annoying with Openbox and its xml files. I have KDE installed on my desktop but I don't really use it anymore.

ace2005
30th September 2005, 06:47 PM
Is it just me or are the themes for KDE much better than the ones for Gnome? Thats why i use KDE, just the nice themes?

I use the Linspire Clear theme and the SuSE window border

wso_angel
30th September 2005, 07:02 PM
when I want to do something easily ,for example listening music ,see the vidio ,I will use Gnome ,and when I want to design something like photo ,programe ,web ,I will use KDE

iamroot
1st October 2005, 01:34 AM
GNOME has good themes. And it's much easier to install themes for GNOME.

powereds
1st October 2005, 11:25 AM
not the weakest :)
aside from using Dell D505 notebook, i use Dell Optiplex GX1 P2 200MHz+ 192MB running FC4

i use gnome since i started using linux this early this year. its cool and im used to it. ive tried using kde but i just dont like it. :D

ace2005
1st October 2005, 03:18 PM
GNOME has good themes. And it's much easier to install themes for GNOME.

I had a look at the Gnome themes and some of them are nice and they are easier to install, i guess its been a while since i've looked for gnome themes.

But its not for me since there is no media control applet to control Rhythmbox or xmms, Ctrl + Alt + Esc won't kill a program, there is no Shift + Del to delete files without sending them to trash. The desktop switching thing on the task bar will not go 1-2-3-4-1-2... its goes from 1 to 4 and stops and then i have to scroll the other way and other little things like that.

I think themes will be easier to install in KDE 4

linux_paul
1st October 2005, 03:27 PM
Gnome.

I tried KDE but Gnome feels more comfortable.

eiki
1st October 2005, 04:23 PM
but its not for me since there is no media control applet to control Rhythmbox or xmms

Yes there is one for rythmbox (not sure if it's new in gnome 2.12 tho) :) and there are various gdesklets applets to control lot of softwares :P

Ctrl + Alt + Esc won't kill a program, there is no Shift + Del to delete files without sending them to trash.

Desktop > Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts

mach_zero
1st October 2005, 07:01 PM
Yes there is one for rythmbox (not sure if it's new in gnome 2.12 tho) :)

No, don't think it's new. I seem to recall that it popped up in the notification area on 2.10 as well.

thiyagu
5th October 2005, 06:14 AM
I am using KDE. for me its better than GNOME

iamroot
5th October 2005, 06:56 AM
GNOME seems to be doing better in the poll.

msimplay
5th October 2005, 08:26 AM
GNOME seems to be doing better in the poll.
Fedora core is a Gnome centric distribution :)

grim76
5th October 2005, 04:34 PM
I have started working with XFCE and have been happy with the results. Just a different approach in how things are handled vs. with gnome.

razi
6th October 2005, 07:34 PM
Fedora core is a Gnome centric distribution :)

right on. here's hoping for a "kfedora" :)

KalasMannen
6th October 2005, 07:39 PM
I like KDE better than Gnome for some reason. I think it may be because i learned KDE when i learned Linux, and i've been to lazy to learn Gnome.. KDE does what i wan't it to do, i see no reason to swith interface now :D

Firewing1
6th October 2005, 09:46 PM
Gnome 1.12 RPM when it comes out is gonna be really cool. Their screenshots look really cool -- Will make gnome Even MORE popular :p

wizard
27th October 2005, 03:59 PM
I use xfce4.

scottmuz
27th October 2005, 11:14 PM
I love KDE but I use the kde-redhat repos . I find Fedora's out of the box KDE rather annoying
(like its lack of a shutdown option, you only logout to the login screen).

That said two of my main apps are Thunderbird and Firefox (Gnome centric) .

ace2005
29th October 2005, 12:00 AM
like its lack of a shutdown option, you only logout to the login screen

If you want KDE to have the shutdown option you need to be using KDM as you're login manager

perry753
29th October 2005, 12:32 AM
GNOME works best for me. KDE looks really ugly nomatter what theme you use to me and it's way too simple. I think it's fine for new users though. :-P

prosen
29th October 2005, 09:02 PM
well .. I started out with KDE in rh7.3 valhalla .. I wont say its ugly .. its cool but as has been said already .. its bcoming bloatware to sum extent ..
switched to GNOME .. on rh9 .. and now with GNOME 2.10 on fc4 .. I do not wish to look back .. its really very SMOOTH and convenient ..
and I hear GNOME 2.12 is even better !! really dont have the enthusiasm and time to upgrade to 2.12 now ..
however I do agree both have their own positives .. I guess its a personal choice as to whose positive one would see as eclipsing the other's.

linmix
29th October 2005, 11:21 PM
I use Gnome because it is simple and beautifull. KDE is just "too much".
hear hear (but I do use a couple of KDE apps like kppp and K3b)