PDA

View Full Version : Only get sound in totem

Aviva
15th February 2004, 07:22 PM
Hey, all.

I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard, and I can only seem to get sound to work when I use totem. Everything else looks like it is playing, but no sound comes out. I do have the nforce drivers installed and all (kernel-2.4.22-1.2149.nptl is the kernel I am using), too.

Any ideas? What is totem using for sound output that makes it work, and not xine, xmms, rhythmbox, gstreamer, mplayer, etc?

TIA!

Aviva

vorte[x]
15th February 2004, 10:13 PM
Hi Aviva,

Quoting Fedoranews.Org (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/kforce/):

audio doesn't work always (eg. Flash)
nvaudio module is based on the OSS i810 driver, but I've had a much better experience with ALSA intel8x0 driver on my ASUS A7NX Deluxe, YMMV. Installing and configuring ALSA is beyond the scope of this document. Using ALSA has the additional benefit of allowing sound mixing, check this other tutorial.

This means you'll need to use ALSA, however. For this, you'll need to either do some homework on getting Alsa installed or throw in 2.6 kernel with ALSA installed by default.

Hope that helps.

- V

Aviva
15th February 2004, 11:33 PM
I hava ALSA installed.

Now that I check again, it appears that nvaudio won't load (it was for a bit I know)..says unresolved symbols. I know my kernel source matches the kernel, but any time I compile the nforce stuff, and do an insmod, it says unresolved symbols.

So, I take it this means I should try the i810 driver. The last time I did, it had issues with my SPDIF, which rendered my speakers useless, but maybe it has changed.

Thanks. :)

"]Hi Aviva,

Quoting Fedoranews.Org (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/andre_costa/kforce/):

audio doesn't work always (eg. Flash)
nvaudio module is based on the OSS i810 driver, but I've had a much better experience with ALSA intel8x0 driver on my ASUS A7NX Deluxe, YMMV. Installing and configuring ALSA is beyond the scope of this document. Using ALSA has the additional benefit of allowing sound mixing, check this other tutorial.

This means you'll need to use ALSA, however. For this, you'll need to either do some homework on getting Alsa installed or throw in 2.6 kernel with ALSA installed by default.

Hope that helps.

- V