PDA

View Full Version : Help, How to - Remove "Places" and "Desktop" Menus

bwinfrey
3rd September 2005, 05:32 PM
I would like to incorporate these into the main Applications menu. I don't see a need to take that much Real Estate on my laptop desktop.

The places menu is pratically useless
Preferences and System Settings are fine as submenus of Applications.

Any help out there?

I've looked at all the .menu files in /etc/xdg and home, but I can't find a reference to theses menus.

Thanks.

mach_zero
3rd September 2005, 06:04 PM
Right click on the Applications menu in the panel and select "Remove from panel".
Right click on the panel again and select "Add to panel>Main Menu" and you will get a simple main menu in the panel with the Preferences and System Settings integrated as submenus.

bwinfrey
3rd September 2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks, I had just found it and came back to post the answer.

But thanks for jumping on it. That's what makes Open Source cool the community support.

dslindsay73
18th January 2006, 09:44 PM
I am running FC4 and this did not work for me. Removed everthing from all panels, deleted all panels, and even rebooted the computer before readding the main menu to the main panel. Desktop and My Places were still there.

Im my opinion, it was a very poor decision to create these new groups in the first place. But what is far more distressing is being unable to find any publication that clearly descibes a clear way to disable this newly introduced behavior. The "do two mysterious backflips and viola" doesnt make me happy. I've customized gnome before using the application.menu and other files. I am at a loss.

Can someone please tell me how/where this behaviour can be re-configured!

dslindsay73
18th January 2006, 10:42 PM
Although I am still unable to remove "Desktop" and "Places" from the main menu, my workaround is to add the following to /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu to add "Preferences" and "System Settings" back to it

<Menu>
<Name>Preferences</Name>
<MergeFile>preferences.menu</MergeFile>
</Menu>
<Menu>
<Name>System Settings</Name>
<MergeFile>system-settings.menu</MergeFile>
</Menu>

psmith
4th May 2006, 07:39 AM
Does anybody have a solution for this? I have been trying to figure out the same issue with the menu.

solarisman
5th May 2006, 08:24 AM
not sure if this is what you had in mind, but
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/06/17/1538223
applies to FC4, and does what I was looking for.
Scroll down to "The Foot Menu"
HTH,

psmith
5th May 2006, 11:19 AM
No. This is not what I'm after. My fault, actually. I wasn't specific.

What I am looking for is a way to modify Applications/Places/Desktop style of menu e.g. to rename Applications to something else OR combine Places and Desktop menus only.

If somebody knows how to do this in FC4, do let me know.

Thanks.
HT