PDA

View Full Version : Cron failing to run bash script

psmith_8
31st August 2005, 02:13 PM
Hi,
I'm fairly new to cron. I'm trying to make cron run a bash script. If iI set the script to run on the hour i.e 13:00, the script will be executed but if I set it to run at any other interval (13:15) or something other than when the minute is 0 the script will fail to run. The cron logs show that the script was run with no errors but the script does not do anything. The script is supposed to backup my database. I'm using Fedora core 3.

Thanks for any help.

kyh
31st August 2005, 02:24 PM
Can you give more info please, like the line in your cron, the part of the log-files where you see anything about your script (cron-log, log database, ...).

psmith_8
31st August 2005, 02:42 PM
To input the settings I use crontab -e
0 20 * * 1,2,3,4,5,6 /root/script.sh

kyh
31st August 2005, 02:53 PM
Any logs with relevant info?

psmith_8
31st August 2005, 03:04 PM
I cant give you any relevent info from the logs because the linux machines are at our external branches, and not at headoffice. The machines are used for our new point of sale, the scripts are used to do incremental backups of mysql, the incremantal backup system is rather complicated because it does not use the mysql binary logs. it backs upto the last record in one of the tables then tommorrow it will continue from the next record upto the end of the table.
If I run the script maualy it works without any problem.