PDA

View Full Version : Locking and unlocking screen, please help!

Impact4ever
30th August 2005, 09:35 AM
Big noob here!

I just installed fc3, and started tweaking the gnome WM. As I was getting ready for work, I accidently clicked the screen lock or lock screen, something. Now I can't get to the gui. Wasn't there supposed to be a dialog box or something where i could unlock the screeen with the password? or is there a keyborad trick I'm suppose to use? Oh yeah... the textmode still work... (if that helps any).

I really need some help guys, any advice would be greatly appreciated?

myszkm
30th August 2005, 06:24 PM
There should be a dialog box that pops up asking for your user password. Try moving your mouse without clicking, typing in your password, and pressing enter.

savage
30th August 2005, 06:31 PM
There is indeed a keyboard trick... I know only KDE method, but I'd assume gnome will be similar

Switch to the console (Ctrl+Alt+F1-6) login as root and type "ps -u username" to show all processes by the user that's locked out, then use kill on the PID for kdestop_lock (gdesktop_lock?) or similar. You might also try killing the screen saver process as well.

Good luck, Savage

Impact4ever
31st August 2005, 03:30 AM
Hey thanks guys, but I found out that it was the graphics driver from nvidia. Every time I download and install it, some how it goes blank every now and then.

So I just replaced it with an old but goody ATI card!

Thanks agian for help guys!