PDA

View Full Version : problem unistalling RPM package

Alerander
21st August 2005, 04:46 AM
I had installed lm_sensors, but i got some problems with configuring it and couldn't log in X-window after the reboot. At the end, i had to repair it with rescue CD. Unforunately, although i corrected some errors, i deleted an important file /etc/lm_sensors, now i can't uninstall lm_sensors with "rpm -e lm_sensors".
lm_sensors: unrecognized service
error: %preun(lm_sensors-2.9.1-41.rhfc4.at.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
what can i do for the uninstallation of that, any other way to do?
Thanks!

dwflo
21st August 2005, 04:57 AM
I had installed lm_sensors, but i got some problems with configuring it and couldn't log in X-window after the reboot. At the end, i had to repair it with rescue CD. Unforunately, although i corrected some errors, i deleted an important file /etc/lm_sensors, now i can't uninstall lm_sensors with "rpm -e lm_sensors".
lm_sensors: unrecognized service
error: %preun(lm_sensors-2.9.1-41.rhfc4.at.i386) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
what can i do for the uninstallation of that, any other way to do?
Thanks!

Reinstall it, then uninstall, that usually corrects the situation. Been there done that. :D

Dave

SlowJet
21st August 2005, 05:20 AM
cat lm_sensors
# /etc/sysconfig/sensors - Defines modules loaded by /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors
# Run sensors-detect to generate this config file

Maybe you can re-create the file?

SJ

Alerander
21st August 2005, 06:31 AM
Now the problem is: i can not reintall it. It would told me that package has been installed. But would go wrong when i uninstalled it later.

Alerander
21st August 2005, 06:36 AM
cat lm_sensors
# /etc/sysconfig/sensors - Defines modules loaded by /etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors
# Run sensors-detect to generate this config file

Maybe you can re-create the file?

SJ

All i want to do is uninstall that package now, it would cause a dangerous problem when i run "sensors-detect" as root, i even could not log in OS then, so i deleted those files using rescue CD. It really horrified me!

dwflo
21st August 2005, 06:53 AM
All i want to do is uninstall that package now, it would cause a dangerous problem when i run "sensors-detect" as root, i even could not log in OS then, so i deleted those files using rescue CD. It really horrified me!

Here is how I was able to overcome my problem.
Log out and back in as root.
Do a search by going to Places/Search For Files, enter lm_sensors.
In the "Look in folder" selection select Filesystem and click Find.
After all references to your entry appear, delete each and every one that refere to lm_sensors.
Then reboot and login as normal. Then try to install it again.

It worked for me, but might not work for you.
I am sure there is someone here that will have a better solution, but I never requested one, so I have no way of referring you to one.

One thing for certain, someone else reads this and they will think I am an idiot. :D
Oh well, it worked for me.

You might want to wait until there are more replies to your question. I am sure someone here will have a much better and sane suggestion. :p

Alerander
21st August 2005, 06:59 AM
I'll try that dwflo, Thank you in advance!
I'm newbie to linux, so many stupid questions were asked by me.

Alerander
21st August 2005, 01:26 PM
I had tried that this afternoon, it's 8:22pm here.
I had deleted all files refere to lm_sensors, but it can still display lm_sensors package in terminal it i type "rpm -q lm_sensors"

dwflo
21st August 2005, 02:05 PM
I had tried that this afternoon, it's 8:22pm here.
I had deleted all files refere to lm_sensors, but it can still display lm_sensors package in terminal it i type "rpm -q lm_sensors"

Attempt to find that, there is something that remains. Look in the /usr/bin folder or /etc/rc.d/rc1.d, rc2.d, rc3.d, rc4.d and rc5.d

I am looking at the results of my file search and using that as a reference. Your setup may be different.
You might try the search with "sensors" and see what it finds. Look in the "Show more options" tab and see if "Show hidden and backup files" is listed. If not that might be why something is left behind.

Dave

Alerander
21st August 2005, 02:09 PM
Thank you! gotta check that!

Alerander
23rd August 2005, 02:56 PM
Hi, all!
I had solved problem this afternoon. Just re-installed the package with "rpm -ivh --replacepkgs lm_sensors-*****.rpm", and then uninstalled it.
It worked fine,Cheers!