PDA

View Full Version : FC4 PPC on an iBook G4 Monitor Problem

cidkato
15th August 2005, 09:51 PM
Hello,

Recently I bought an iBook G4 and now I want to dual boot Tiger and FC4. In the past I have used FC2-4 on the x86 architecture, as well as slackware, debian, and a few others without any major problems. I have already partitioned the drive (using Ubuntu), but when I boot up the FC4 CD #1 anaconda apparently does not recognize the LCD screen (cycles through red, green, blue, white, grey, black, rinse + repeat.) Before anaconda loads, it says 'Monitor = Unknown'

I have tried using "linux", "/ppc/mac/vmlinuz", "linux reiserfs selinux=0", and "linux text." "linux text" worked to some extent, however when I go to boot into FC4 for the first time, I get no picture. As I have read in other posts, no one else seems to get this problem, so do any of you have any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

By the way, I have also tried it using an external CRT monitor.

cidkato
16th August 2005, 12:53 AM
Alright I have gotten over that problem temporarily by using "linux resolution=1024x768". Now I'm getting a familiar problem (google):
"Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 873, in nextClicked
self.dispatch.gotoNext()
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 174, in gotoNext
self.moveStep()
File "/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 242, in moveStep
rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args))"
...etc.

Any ideas?

nokollonzo
22nd August 2005, 09:28 PM
Sounds a little bit strange to me. I installed FC4 on my iBook using the CD ISOs available on the www.fedora.redhat.com with NO LCD problems. And, as long as Apple's hardware is always the same, nobody else should have any problem.
As a result of my painfull days installing FC4 on my iBook, I finally wrote a pretty complete and deep guide to install FC4 on an iBook :cool: ; unfortunately only in Italian at present (Im from Turin, 2006 Winter Olympics City) Check the link because an English version is coming nsoon! :)
My guide is at: http://www.labinf.polito.it/nepote/linux_on_ibook_g4.html

NoKo

jcda
15th November 2005, 07:43 PM
Hi,
I exactly have the same issue, I own a G4 ibook bought in August 2005
I was obliged to install in text mode. ( type "linux text" at boot time)
There is a message in the begining of the boot sequence assigning the problem.
I can only use my computer with init 3 (non graphical mode).
I just reported a bug in bugzilla.redhat.com :
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=173255
lets see if i found the reason of the problem...

Regards

nokollonzo
15th November 2005, 10:08 PM
so maybe the problem affects only some laptops. It would be a good idea if you (I mean jcda &cidkato) will show each other your serial numbers. If they are similar you may think to call Apple and submit the problem.....
oops! They'll answer: there's no problem if you re-install panther :)

NoKo

Zakarth
15th November 2005, 11:15 PM
I believe I saw this before and I think a user got it to work experimenting with the frame buffer options in the kernel when booting. You may want to go through an advanced search on the PPC forum regarding inquiries into "fb" or "framebuffer".

Specifically, certain laptops don't support a type of framebuffer mode used by default when PPC FC-4 is installed.. Graphics can be made to work, its just a few hoops you have to jump through.

jcda
16th November 2005, 06:35 AM
I agree with you Zakarth,
the message displayed before boot sequence is :

cannot allocate ressource region 0 of device 001:10:18.0
cannot allocate ressource region 0 of device 001:10:19.0
radeonfb (0000:00:10.0): Invalid ROM signature 0 should be0xaa55

other distros doesnt met this issue

Zakarth
16th November 2005, 08:58 AM
try doing this:

When Linux boots up and it asks you for the kernel parameters (I believe it literally says, Kernel: ) type in:

linux video=offb

Some alternatives could also be, video=ofonly, video=nofb

You get the idea. I think one of those should work. (I suspect either offb, or ofonly)

jcda
24th November 2005, 11:16 AM
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply.
This parameters didnt work.
Lets see if I have the same problem with FC5-test1.

If the bug isn't already fixed, I ll have to find a solution before FC5 go for gold.

to be continued...