PDA

View Full Version : FC4 installation/GUI pausing problems - newbie

ssrjdg
15th August 2005, 05:21 AM
Hi All,

I've been trying to install FC4 on a known good iMac (iMac 500MHz/20GB 384MB CD-ROM) for about 3 days now.
Having read every installation document I could find I'ver tried all sorts of things to get it installed.
Although I initially tried a dual-boot setup (with Mac OS X Tiger) I gave up due the number of problems I was encountering e.g repeated error messages "The partitionís data region doesnít occupy the entire partition" & "Attempt to read sectors 16-18 outside of partition on /dev/hda"

Since then I've being doing a CD ISO install and choosing the Desktop Installation option with automatic partitioning.
The installation appears to go smootly.
On reboot I see the following:
"Invalid ROM signature 8181 should be 0xaa55"
folllowed by:
failed to create dev/consol, dev/null & dev/zero.
Completed first boot and reached login screen. A single beep is heard at this time.
Entered user name and password then took minutes to eventually arrived at the desktop.
Now the mouse appears to freeze for long periods (about a minute at a time) and doing anything is thus painfully slow.
I've run top from a shell and found no unusual CPU hogs. X is using about 2.3% cpu and nothing else it using any more.
Back in GUI selecting 'System Tools' from the 'Applications' menu has me waiting for about a minute again. There's also no hard disc activity while this is happening. It just pauses.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Help getting dual-boot working at some stage would be great too. Happy to take small steps first...

eyz
16th August 2005, 07:19 PM
Although I initially tried a dual-boot setup (with Mac OS X Tiger) I gave up due the number of problems I was encountering e.g repeated error messages "The partitionís data region doesnít occupy the entire partition"

I've had the same problem. FC4 doesn't seem to understand the partition scheme of Mac OS X. But I was able to dual-boot Panther and YDL before.

Anyone ever succeeded in dual-booting FC4 and Tiger?

ssrjdg
18th August 2005, 05:01 PM
I think I've found the solution. Apparently this "The partitionís data region doesnít occupy the entire partition" error is a known bug which appears to have a workaround.
The instructions you'll want are located at the end of this link:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=159047

I'm in the process of installing FC4 on a system with Tiger installed in the first partion and it seems to be working. Will let you know how I go.
Note: I did have a bit of a problem getting the new formatting to 'stick' using Disk Druid. Persevered and after a couple of reboots the partitioning held.

I hope this helps.

DIxer
19th August 2005, 12:47 PM
I think I've found the solution. Apparently this "The partitionís data region doesnít occupy the entire partition" error is a known bug which appears to have a workaround.
The instructions you'll want are located at the end of this link:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=159047

I'm in the process of installing FC4 on a system with Tiger installed in the first partion and it seems to be working. Will let you know how I go.
Note: I did have a bit of a problem getting the new formatting to 'stick' using Disk Druid. Persevered and after a couple of reboots the partitioning held.

I hope this helps.

I tried this a while ago but had no joy with it. When I get the chance I'm going to install FC4T3 and upgrade but let us know how this goes, in case I got it wrong

ssrjdg
19th August 2005, 01:49 PM
Success at last! As mentioned above, setting up the Linux partitioning didn't work correctly the first couple of times I tried it so I rebooted and tried again. On the third try it worked and the installation went smoothly after that.
I now have a snappy little iMac booting both Tiger 10.4.2 and Fedora Core 4.
Sweet.

nokollonzo
22nd August 2005, 09:24 PM
OK guys, good job.
I've had the same problem. As a result of my painfull days installing FC4 on my iBook, I finally wrote a pretty complete and deep guide to install FC4 on an iBook :cool: ; unfortunately only in Italian at present (Im from Turin, 2006 Winter Olympics City) Check the link because an English version is coming nsoon! :)
My guide is at: http://www.labinf.polito.it/nepote/linux_on_ibook_g4.html

NokO

ssrjdg
23rd August 2005, 10:53 AM
I can hardly wait. Although I have one iMac dual-booting perfectly (no problems so far) I've been trying for days to get the same thing happening on another almost identical iMac with no success.
Very frustrating.
I'm really looking forward to the English version:)