PDA

View Full Version : Another multimedia keys post

linux_paul
14th August 2005, 05:38 PM
First off, I'm a newbie using Gnome 2.10, an Nforce2 on-board sound card (with FC4 default drivers), and a M$ Natural Keyboard :rolleyes:

That said, I've read many posts in this forum and others and have managed to map the multimedia keys and get most of them working (i.e. starting Firefox, Evolution, Calculator, etc). The only keys I want to work that don't are the mute, vol+, and vol-.

I have downloaded scripts that adjust the volume from within a terminal, but I can't seem to get the keybinding_commands to run them. If there is an easier way or if you can help me bind these commands, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help,

pwiesen

linux_paul
15th August 2005, 03:13 AM
bump, please I need help :)

imdeemvp
15th August 2005, 03:51 AM
Go to Desktop >Preferences >Keyboard shortcuts that's how I manage my vol +/-

linux_paul
16th August 2005, 04:03 PM
I will give this a try, thanks for the advice.

linux_paul
17th August 2005, 04:09 PM
I tried the keyboard shortcuts, no luck.

Anyone have help with the scripting side. Maybe I'm using the wrong syntax in the keybinding_commands tool.

Of course any other solutions would be appreciated.

CuCullin
17th August 2005, 08:54 PM
pwiesen, what happened with keyboard shortcuts? Thats how I set things up on my laptop & the multimedia keyboards attached to my desktops.

linux_paul
18th August 2005, 02:36 PM
CuCullin, under Keyboard Shortcuts I click Volume mute and press my mutlimedia key. It displays XF86AudioMute. I continue with Volume up and down and it automatically enters XF86AudioRaiseVolume and XF86AudioLowerVolume respectivly. Yet still no volume control.

I had heard of people using scripts in keybinding_commands to control volume, but all I find are scripts for KDE, nothing for Gnome. I have used the keybinding_commands to launch my email, web, etc. I just wish I could figure out the volume.

linux_paul
20th August 2005, 08:26 PM
No worries, I finally got the volume to work. I had to modify the scripts and list them in the keybinding_commands, and now volume is controlled by the keyboard buttons.