PDA

View Full Version : What wireless network card?

ms-x
10th August 2005, 05:24 PM
Hi, I'm looking to get a wireless network card that is supported by Fedora Core 4. I want to know which one(s) you would recommend, and where they can be purchased. I have had a look around on google, but I am struggling to find anywhere that sells them.

Any help is appreciated.

dnar
11th August 2005, 08:44 AM
PCI or PCMCIA?

sakthi
12th August 2005, 01:09 PM
If it is PCMCIA which card will be better?

dnar
12th August 2005, 01:36 PM
If it is PCMCIA which card will be better?
The D-Link DWL-650 (802.11b) works at 11Mbps for sure, the TP-Link Tl-WN510G also works at 54Mbps for sure. I can't speak for other cards, except the D-Link DWL-650+ (22Mbps) that does not. Beware, manufacturers often release cards witht the same model number yet different chipsets depending on what they can get for a good price at the time.

Non-supported cards can be used with Ndiswrapper (http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/) although it's not ideal using the windows driver this way, it is often the only way to get some cards working under Linux. I try to stick with cards that "just work" with standard distros like Fedora (cards mention in my first paragraph).

As for PCMCIA .vs. PCI there is no "better". PCMCIA for laptops, PCI for workstations/servers. Ethernet connected devices such as WAP's and Bridges are good, they need NO drivers!

LBmtb
12th August 2005, 07:43 PM
My Linksys WPC11 (pcmia) works very well under Fedora 4. Mine is version 3. It's an 802.11b card.

sakthi
12th August 2005, 10:46 PM
thank you very much. i like to have th cheapest and the best one for linux. any suggestion?

Omega Blue
15th August 2005, 03:29 AM
I use Orinoco (now made by Proxim) PCMCIA cards with Fedora. It has no problems.

Now my question is, does anybody know which PCI WiFi cards work?

imdeemvp
15th August 2005, 03:34 AM
I use an atheros based wireless card and this how I installed drivers. (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43718) Very easy to do.