PDA

View Full Version : Hal, USB, FC4.0, frustrated

wadeh
9th August 2005, 11:02 PM
I have FC4.0 systems that refuse to automatically mount my USB memory stick or hard disk.

Laptop: FC4.0 with updates, update from FC3.0
HAL will run and I can see the devices via gnome-volume-manager
I added in policy files in /etc/hal/fdi/policy and /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy, but hal does not automount
I followed the tips in http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=52143 for both my Maxtor
USB hard disk and a Lexar jumpdrive.

(I do see messages in /var/log/messages and on stdout when the hal-device-manager is running).
No devices appear in /media.

Desktop: FC4.0 with some updates, update from RH9 (SMP broken -- see prior post).
HAL refuses to start.
A manual run of /usr/sbin/hal --verbose=yes results in:
time [I] hald.c:495: hal 0.5.2
time [I] hald.c:497: Will daemonize
time [i] hald.c: 507: Becoming a daemon
then nothing -- ps eax does not show the process.....

Any help would be most appreciated.

ryuheixys
10th August 2005, 12:20 AM
wait, so you upgraded all the way from RH9 to FC4? (desktop)
If so, I dont think things are going to go smoothly...
its not exactly a good comparison but its like updating from Windows 3.1 to Windows XP
maybe a clean install will help on the desktop. (infact, I try to do clean installs everytime I upgrade, its also a good time to clean up old files and stuff)

as for your laptop, did you try adding the drives to your /etc/fstab file? I usually do that instead of the whole automation thing since its more comfortable and reliable. (I have things predefined in the fstab file so when the device is connected, the computer does not automatically mount)
if its an external HD, and if its not connected to your drive at the time of boot, it will just say something like "mount failed" but it really didn't fail to mount the important stuff so its okay.
I guess i'm one of those people who dont really care about how it looks as long as it works.

tashirosgt
10th August 2005, 03:15 PM
Is it correct to say that you do see the devices listed in hal-device-manager?
In /var/log/messages, you said you saw messages from the hal daemon. Are there also messages from fstab-sync ?