PDA

View Full Version : .bashrc not executing in TTY

brownen
5th August 2005, 06:46 PM
I've noticed that my .bashrc is not being executed when I log into a tty (prompt and aliases are not set). Once logged in, I can execute "source ~/.bashrc" and everything works. Also, ~/.bash_profile works fine in the tty.

Any ideas?

tashirosgt
6th August 2005, 04:41 AM
Is this FC3 or FC4? The man page on bash says that .bash_profile is executed when you use a login shell. Are you indeed logging into the terminal ? (Such as the console you get by CTRL_ALT_F2) Or are you using the "open terminal" selection from the desktop, in which case one would expect .bashrc to govern? Do the aliases work in one or the other of these cases or faile in both? Could it be that the scripts in /etc/profile.d are conflicting with what you are trying to do?

brownen
7th August 2005, 04:32 PM
This is FC4 and I am logging into a terminal (CTRL_ALT_F1). The aliases "executed" fine in an open termial under X but for some reason it didn't "execute" under TTY. Not sure what caused the problem. The problem's fixed now. I've spent some time checking out some other distros SUSE, UBUNTU and others (keep coming back to fedora) but when I reinstalled FC4 the problem went away.