PDA

View Full Version : Yum Questions

dswalinski
12th January 2004, 01:18 AM
Forgive me if this is posted some where else. I've been using Redhat for a while and was using up2date until now. With my download and use of Fedora I've started using Yum and just want to understand it a little better.

I've downloaded the config file posted in the FAQ and it has some portions listed as unstable. I can certainly make guesses about what those servers contain but was hoping to get the answer from someone that knows. Assuming that's not code I want to use, should I comment out those sections. I originally downloaded the new config file because running yum kept producing an error stating there were no more servers in the list. I can only assume that Redhat's server is unavailable for whatever reason and as I've noticed in some posts it's also slow. Hopefully this will fix both situations.

Also, when I use yum should I copy my config files to packages being updated to some place safe or does the update manage the config files so that they're not obliterated?

foolish
13th January 2004, 12:04 PM
The supported way of updating from redhat to fedora is to download the isos, write the cds and choose update in the install. I have heard of people trying to upgrade using yum, but I have never heard of anyone doing it successfully. Use the supported methods!

dswalinski
18th January 2004, 03:04 AM
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post. I've already moved to Fedora. I'm just not clear about the use of yum not that I'm a Fedora user.

What does "unstable" refer to in the yum config file?
When using yum should I copy config files and copy them back when done or does yum updates handle the config files for each application updated?

kesv
19th January 2004, 09:29 AM
What does "unstable" refer to in the yum config file?
When using yum should I copy config files and copy them back when done or does yum updates handle the config files for each application updated?
Unstable is what you would expect it to be. It's packages that have not been deemed stable enough for general use. You probably wont want or need them.

Yum is just a frontend to rpm. So the same thing happens to config files as with any rpm. A config file is created as <config_file>.rpmnew when an existing config is found. A badly made rpm package might not respect this convention. Anyway you shouldn't have any problems with official fc1 updates.