PDA

View Full Version : BMP player and Gaim sounds clash...

rakesh09
4th August 2005, 06:15 PM
Hi,
I installed xcompmgr and got down to using it, but soon found xmms doesnt open with the compositor turned on.
So, I started using bmp (Beep media player). The only problem is that when I use gaim, the sounds from GAIM and BMP dont overlap.. bmp pauses, waits for gaim to play the sound then resumes playback. This is really annoying, esp if i am chatting with someone while listening to songs..

I use the alsa output plugin in bmp. when I used to use xmms, i didnt face such a problem. In gaim , to play back sounds, i use (mplayer %s), however, when i run a separate instance of mplayer and bmp togetehr, their sounds do overlap. I also tried the other options to playback sound in gaim, but they too had the same issue.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thnx, and cheers!

smfinley
4th August 2005, 07:04 PM
You need an .asoundrc (http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/asoundrc.php?module=Generic) file in your home directory.

rakesh09
4th August 2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the tip! I added the "pcm.default" lines in .asoundrc and changed the device that bmp uses (in the alsa plugin), and hey presto.. its working fine!