PDA

View Full Version : touch: cannot touch .... readonly filesystem

kuifje00
25th July 2005, 08:58 PM
I am stuck with a strange problem.
When I try to boot FC3, one of the first init scripts ( sysinit I think it was ), is trying to touch some files, and later on other file are being touched or removed...
This cannot be done because the / filesystem has become readonly.
I read about, to do fsck on /boot and /root ( all I have ) but that does not help.
When I boot the other operating system, I can mount fedora /boot and /root whithout any problem?
What can be the cause of this bad habbit ?

kuifje00
25th July 2005, 09:48 PM
Okay, Lets try this,

How can I set de drives to unclean, so they are checked at boot-time?
If some strange error is causing the problem, a forced e2fsck wil repair at boot ?

kuifje00
25th July 2005, 10:44 PM
Found this..
Mount rootfs if possile, touch /<mountpoint>/forcefsck ( in the root of ... ) then reboot.
did this, took a while, but still read only....
How can I force a read/write mount for / at boot ?

kuifje00
25th July 2005, 11:06 PM
And then...
To make the filesystem mount read/write, after the forced fsck ,
I added a line to /etc/rc.sysinit, to remount read/write

# Remount the root filesystem read-write.
update_boot_stage RCmountfs
state=`awk '/ \/ / && ($3 !~ /rootfs/) { print $4 }' /proc/mounts`
[ "$state" != "rw" -a "$READONLY" != "yes" ] && \
action $"Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode: " mount -n -o remount,rw /
## [EDIT to be shure]
action $"Remounting root filesystem in read-write mode: " mount -n -o remount,rw /

After the fsck, I get the message, that fs is remount as read/write.
But, I stil get the messages cannot touch, cannot remove ...... readolny filesystem.
I think I'm lost now ?

d-kam
7th August 2005, 01:20 AM
I am stuck with a strange problem.
When I try to boot FC3, one of the first init scripts ( sysinit I think it was ), is trying to touch some files, and later on other file are being touched or removed...
This cannot be done because the / filesystem has become readonly.
I read about, to do fsck on /boot and /root ( all I have ) but that does not help.
When I boot the other operating system, I can mount fedora /boot and /root whithout any problem?
What can be the cause of this bad habbit ?

I am getting this error in FC4, have you found a solution to this?

judgeice
7th August 2005, 01:49 AM
webmin can help but hard to install it on r/o fs lol do you have a RAID array on the system?

d-kam
7th August 2005, 01:56 AM
webmin can help but hard to install it on r/o fs lol do you have a RAID array on the system?

No, it isn't RAID. I recently did this command but didn't know exactly what it was (was following a tutorial on setting up a DHCP Server)
touch /var/state/dhcp/dhcpd.leases

Could this have anything to do with it?

d-kam
7th August 2005, 02:00 AM
ahh, I did connect to this machine from another via Ethernet and logged in as root to look at the file system, could this have messed it up? I used SSH.

kuifje00
18th August 2005, 09:43 AM
Well, I had bad luck, Made a mistake, and lost all of the fedora 3...
Had to reinstall. What I found, not funny, It looks like the fedora ext3 filesystem has more options then gentoo or debian knows about... so I could not repair via the dual boot option...?

But, its up and running again.

( If you can dual boot, try to make a backup of the "defect" filesystem, and try to recreate and restor it . Maybe that will work, although I have doubt about that )