PDA

View Full Version : VNC, remote login???

hamburger
21st July 2005, 12:04 AM
Anyone knows how to use VNC login a FC4 box remotely? I mean, now, I must login into my FC4 box locally with a user account; and then I can use VNCViewer to control that PC. Is there any way to let VNC do it from the beginning? I remember, in my previous UNI, I can login into a Sun server with graphical remote login and, at the same time, many different users can login into their own desktop environment with their account separately. Can FC4 achieve this?

jtang613
21st July 2005, 12:38 AM
Try a forum search.

Hint, look for this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=1606

hth,
Jason

kg4cbk
21st July 2005, 01:58 AM
There are may how to's on the web.

Short description:

edit /etc/sysconfig/vncservers

enable the vnc services:

chkconfig vncserver on

You will need to set the vncpassword for the user you setup vnc for.

Open the port in the firewll for vnc, default should be 5901. You can do this using system-config-securitylevel

I recommend you setup and use vnc over ssh. vnc by itself s not secure. There was a good discussion on setting up vnc over ssh here in the last month or two. If you need additional pointers on using vnc with ssh ask.

hamburger
21st July 2005, 03:53 AM
Yes, I am looking for it in the forum right now! Thanks for all the advice from jtang613 and kg4cbk. :D

hamburger
21st July 2005, 04:26 AM
Yes...already did it. However, where is the good looking GUI??? :( I was expecting a good looking of its. Any ideas?

kg4cbk
21st July 2005, 01:17 PM
What GUI are you looking for?

You will find under the Applications --> Accessories menu there is the vncviewer item.

Or do you mean the desktop after you connect via vnc? Did you edit the ~/.vnc/xstartup file? You may need to uncomment one line to get the default windows environment you are expecting.

hamburger
22nd July 2005, 12:33 AM
yes, I am looking at the link which jtang613 advised me yesterday...it may solve my problem. Thanks a lot...:D