PDA

View Full Version : ibook g4 sound problems

flange
13th July 2005, 08:13 PM
I've installed FC4 on my 12" iBook G4, and now am in need of some help getting sound to work correctly.

Here are the symptoms I'm having at the moment:

the system beeps the "internal speaker" for all kinds of things (successful loading of the GDM, backspace and tab in console, etc.)
Soundcard Detection (system-config-soundcard) detects "PowerMac Sound" and loads module "snd-powermac". The test sound works well.
Logging in to Gnome and/or adding a volume control applet gives the error "No volume control elements and/or devices found."
Multimedia Systems Selector has Alsa listed for both audio options, but testing each gives the error "Failed to construct test pipeline for 'ALSA - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture'". Switching to the other sound systems yields the same result.

That's what I know so far. My goals are (in order of priority):

Shut off the system beep. This makes Fedora so irritating I nearly can't stand to use it on my Mac.
Get the rest of the system to recognize and use what the Soundcard Detection program is using. Soundcard Detection seems to be dead on.

Can anyone help me out with this?

ndcent
15th July 2005, 12:11 AM
I can confirm the first of those on my 14" iBook, but don't know of any solutions.

jonest
15th July 2005, 10:10 AM
I debated whether or not to post this on a Fedora forum, but here goes. I have tried the following distros on my 933mhz ibook g4.
Fedora
Gentoo
Debian
Yellow Dog
Each one of these distros had problems with sound. Usually, they had problems with more than one item. With Gentoo it was video. Getting my wireless usb token to work was a pain, or how about cd burning. The truth is that I believe the market was not big enough to have a well supported distro for the mac.

That was when I tried Ubuntu as a last resort and everything worked with very little hassle. Sound was out of the box along with cd burning (set dma), dvd playback, and support for my d-link dwl-122 wireless usb key (need to run script). If you are still having problems awhile from now, I suggest trying Ubuntu for ppc.

flange
15th July 2005, 04:41 PM
That was when I tried Ubuntu as a last resort and everything worked with very little hassle. Sound was out of the box along with cd burning (set dma), dvd playback, and support for my d-link dwl-122 wireless usb key (need to run script). If you are still having problems awhile from now, I suggest trying Ubuntu for ppc.

Actually, I have. That's what FC4 replaced. I've run both Warty and Hoary on it, and neither one worked out of the box with sound. I tried several things with Hoary to get it working better (the sound was quiet and greatly distorted) until finally I lost sound altogether, and couldn't get it back.

Most other things did work well, just like Fedora. It's arguable which distro got sound closer out of the box, but neither one just worked for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Ubuntu is a good distro.

flange
19th July 2005, 09:07 PM
Well, I managed to solve the system beep problem on my own. I found a post on the Red Hat Fedora list that told me how to do it. It looks to be a platform independent solution, so it should work on x86 machines as well, if any x86er's are having annoying system beep issues.

Red Hat's Fedora List (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-June/msg04179.html)