PDA

View Full Version : Root Password in Terminal COMMAND NOT FOUND

Marukuwato
12th July 2005, 11:24 AM
Dear friends,

I am a Linux (FC4) beginner and I am trying to install AdobeReader following http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html instructions.
I have not been able to have my root password recognized in the Terminal even though I have chekced it many times. Does someone would have an explanation or an advice to help me out.

Kind regards
:)

azazel00
12th July 2005, 11:43 AM
Well, I really dont understand what the problem is.
Could you post the commands you typed in the shell, plus the output? ( [.CODE] <insert commands and output here> [/.CODE] (without the dots))

rayyes
12th July 2005, 11:43 AM
post what you typed and the output you got

Marukuwato
12th July 2005, 01:10 PM
[root@OCN ~]# su -
[root@OCN ~]# (my root password)
bash: my root passwrod : command not found
[root@OCN ~]#
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@OCN ~]# su
[root@OCN ~]# my root password
bash: my root passwrod : command not found
[root@OCN ~]#

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is what I got so far, friends.

rayyes
12th July 2005, 01:15 PM
but you are already root!??

Marukuwato
12th July 2005, 01:24 PM
My root password is the same one which I used when I start the OS. I type the word "root" (User name) than I type the root password. I suppose that I am already "root" but I have to type it again to begin the install process in the Terminal. Am I missing something ?

bitrain
12th July 2005, 01:55 PM
My root password is the same one which I used when I start the OS. I type the word "root" (User name) than I type the root password. I suppose that I am already "root" but I have to type it again to begin the install process in the Terminal. Am I missing something ?You logged in as root (never do this!!!), then you don't have to use su or su - or sudo, since you are already root.
Login as a normal user, then type su - followed by your root password.

Marukuwato
12th July 2005, 02:16 PM
OK. It seems that I have to get literate on that from the beginning.
How do I log in as a normal user ? Should I change my User Name and than use it in Terminal ?
Should I have a different word as a normal user ? Where do I register myself as a normal user ?
My "root password" is the one which I use when open FC4 right ?

bitrain
12th July 2005, 02:26 PM
You should have made yourself a useraccount when you booted FC the first time after the installation.
If you want to make a new user, log in as root, open the menu -> system settings -> users and groups, click on add user and add a new user. Use the user/password to login the next time. Then if you need to install something as root, you can log out and log in as root or open the terminal and type "su -". (no "")

tejas
12th July 2005, 03:31 PM
OK, here, this is the technical definition:

1) Pretend we are all basketball players.
2) Root is Michael Jordan
3) The rest of us all want to be Michael Jordan
4) To become Michael Jordan, we use the command su or su -
5) Now if you are already MJ, then what is the point of using su to become yourself? You do not have to prove to anyone that you are worthy of the title 'root'. Hense, if you already are root, you can become anyone (including yourself) without ever giving a password. In fact, root can do anything without a password, including steal all of the data of your other users and lock them out.

Since MJ has a LOT of money, what you want to do is create another basketball player, and use him instead of Jordan. This way, if you get drunk, and sign off all of the money you got from Nike, then the computer will give you an error, saying you do not have permissions to do that.

If your other player wants to become Michael Jordan, he just has to type in su -, prove he deserves the title by giving a password, and BOOM! he is MJ

- Tejas Dinkar

Marukuwato
12th July 2005, 04:39 PM
You should have made yourself a useraccount when you booted FC the first time after the installation

OK I have used the word "root" when I first booted FC and root was my username so far. (I saw one some one having it) and I thought that was it.

Dear bitrain and Tejas I am getting the picture of it. Both of you have given me a quite clear idea how to go for it. I will try to get there

azazel00
12th July 2005, 04:48 PM
Marukuwato: Hope you understood the root explanation given by tejas (it was hilarious)

Now, in order to install Acrobat Reader you have to follow the steps in the page you posted, starting with the third step.

Type:

yum install compat-libstdc++-33

Hope this helps!

Marukuwato
12th July 2005, 05:19 PM
Dear Azazel00 and tejas. Yes. So far I have set up an user name which is not "root". I noticed that I have to give my "root" password to do anything and I have to download AdobeReader once more (As well as tranfer all my files) OK I can understand that :-) (Sorry it is like to learn the ABCD for me !). I have also tested the Terminal and it seems that using the new "username" and the "root password" it lead me to the following step. THANK you both so far and I hope it will work.
Peace