View Full Version : ASP for linux ?

productive
6th July 2005, 07:12 PM
hello, PPL

I would like to know if linux supports ASP or is that just for windows systems

Thank you :)

dickinsd
6th July 2005, 07:30 PM
Chili!Soft ASP is an application server software required to execute ASP (Active Server Pages) in various platforms such as Linux, Windows NT and Solaris. Generally, programmer runs ASP applications in a Windows NT server using Microsoft Internet Information Server (MS IIS), however since this alternative comes to the market, nowadays ASP applications can be run in various platforms. There are some web hosting companies offer their customer with this Linux based ASP, most of them utilizing Chili!Soft ASP.

http://www.sun.com/software/chilisoft/

BUT the cost is probably enough to go for PHP coded pages :)

Dave

Firewing1
6th July 2005, 07:37 PM
ASP? Do you mean ASF/ASX streams? Yes, then... Just get mplayer and install Win32 codecs... Otherwise, I have no idea... (Or isn't ASP a programming lang?) if it is the programming lang, don't bother. I've heard it suks. PHP, MySQL, HTML, Perl, and many more programming langs universally supported in Linux should do you fine :)
Firewing1

BandC
6th July 2005, 07:58 PM
Continuing on what people already said... PHP for Linux is pretty much what ASP for Windows. So unless you have a ton of already written ASP pages, I'd say learn PHP. The concept is the same. The syntax is a little different but you get used to it. Oh and people generally serve their PHP pages on Apache server (which is the Linux correspondant to IIS).

productive
6th July 2005, 08:05 PM
Im asking this question because couple of my clients asked about working with ASP on our linux servers. My servers are already running php - mysql but I guess that they must have a site or something that has to do with ASP.

Thank you for your replies everyone

Maners
6th July 2005, 08:22 PM
You can also run ASP.NET through Mono on Linux. It's much better than classic ASP and free to use (GPL lincense). http://www.mono-project.com/

productive
6th July 2005, 08:47 PM
Hi,Maners

Ok lets say that my client, ASP.net from his home and creates database and websites with asp.net . Will his ASP web site be able to be seen ? Becase that what they want, he has another site that he wants to transfer but it is done in asp, would MONO do the job for him?

Thank you

Maners
6th July 2005, 08:56 PM
Hi,Maners

Ok lets say that my client, ASP.net from his home and creates database and websites with asp.net . Will his ASP web site be able to be seen ? Becase that what they want, he has another site that he wants to transfer but it is done in asp, would MONO do the job for him?

Thank you

Yes, but it might require minor changes to the code. Additionaly if he used Microsoft SQL as a database backend he'd need to export data to PostrgreeSQL or MySQL which run on Linux or connect from Mono to the MS-SQL server which runs on another windows box. If his application isn't very complex it should be easy to port it to Mono. Check the FAQ for more info (http://www.mono-project.com/FAQ:_ASP.NET)

Omega Blue
7th July 2005, 05:27 AM
As far as I know, ASP.NET is not ASP. Of course, I have used neither, so I can be completely wrong.

BandC
7th July 2005, 04:30 PM
Basic ASP code is easy to convert to ASP.NET. Many simple ASP pages will work as they are. It all boils down to how complex the ASP code is, does it use database etc. But then I never tried Mono Server pages so it could be different.

I never tried ASP on Linux but seems like some people do it with Chilisoft ASP. I don't know if it's all free though. There is another thread in this forum about ASP.

LaVacaLoca
7th July 2005, 04:40 PM
I'm not too familiar with the topic, but I'd like to share something.

The .NET framework is for Windows computers (I remember I could install the .NET framework over the OS, when I was still running Windows), and all the .NET languages are used to program using this framework. Thus, ASP.NET is used to program the .NET framework and thus may be used solely on computers using said framework, videlicet Windows computers. Therefore, learning ASP.NET while running a Linux machine makes no sense. ASP is also for Windows, but I believe Sun makes a version of ASP that is usable on Linux computers. All in all, however, PHP is the better choice over ASP. It's easy to learn and widely supported, while ASP is somewhat confusing to learn (it uses its own syntax; PHP's is somewhat similar to other languages like Perl) and used mainly on Windows computers.

Again, I don't know much, and I'm sorry if the information is wrong. Just thought I'd share. =)

Maners
7th July 2005, 08:35 PM
I'm not too familiar with the topic, but I'd like to share something.

The .NET framework is for Windows computers (I remember I could install the .NET framework over the OS, when I was still running Windows), and all the .NET languages are used to program using this framework. Thus, ASP.NET is used to program the .NET framework and thus may be used solely on computers using said framework, videlicet Windows computers. Therefore, learning ASP.NET while running a Linux machine makes no sense. ASP is also for Windows, but I believe Sun makes a version of ASP that is usable on Linux computers. All in all, however, PHP is the better choice over ASP. It's easy to learn and widely supported, while ASP is somewhat confusing to learn (it uses its own syntax; PHP's is somewhat similar to other languages like Perl) and used mainly on Windows computers.

Again, I don't know much, and I'm sorry if the information is wrong. Just thought I'd share. =)

Mono is a .NET framework for Linux, BSD, Windows and other OS that it can be compiled for. It is an Open Source implementation of Microsoft's version of the framework which is mainly developed by Novell. Its aim is to reflect the features of MS version and the software that runs on MS .NET Framework should run (in theory) on Mono without any modification. At the current stage most of the features are already implemented and it works best with C# language.

ASP is a server side parser and doesn't have its own syntax (in contrast to PHP). ASP scripts in version 3.0 can be written in JScript and VBScript languages. ASP.NET scripts can be written in C#, VB.NET, C++ .NET and any other .NET compatibile language (Mono supports only C# and VB.NET at its current stage). PHP is a parser as well as programming language (derived from Perl and C(?)) and as others already metioned is very paoweful and easy to learn. Version 5 of PHP is way more powerful than classic ASP, but some say that ASP.NET is more powerful than PHP (personally I prefer PHP :-)).