PDA

View Full Version : VNC starting woes?

nodegxt
5th July 2005, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I have just installed Core 3. Most things went as one would expect. However, when I went to set up VNC to start at boot time, ie, tag it through the ntsysv util it would always state while starting "vncserver alreading running as hostname:1 [FAILED]".

However, from a console session I could start it manually by "/etc/init.d/vncserver start" and it would work a-ok from a remote machine.

I recall this similar problem happening and it required the removal of an lock file that didnt remove from a previous vnc startup (???). Ok, this may well be the problem I am having but I have looked in /var/lock & /var/run but there is no lock file or pid file related to vncserver in either of those locations.

So, now after trying myself and then searching both google and fedoraforums for related material, I ask you good people for any assistance with my problem.

Many thanks for your time.

Mark

kg4cbk
5th July 2005, 11:47 PM
What do you have in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file?

Check for lock files under /tmp should have a name similar to .X1-lock an also under /tmp/.X11-unix.

nodegxt
6th July 2005, 03:57 AM
What do you have in /etc/sysconfig/vncservers file?

Check for lock files under /tmp should have a name similar to .X1-lock an also under /tmp/.X11-unix.

Thanks for that, I will look when I get home to see if there is a lock file or similar???

In /etc/sysconfig/vncservers I have VNCSERVERS="1:root" for now till I get tit solved then I will add myself as a common user.

BTW. KG4CBK, a ham call? I am VK3JMA

Regards

Mark

kg4cbk
6th July 2005, 04:14 AM
Thanks for that, I will look when I get home to see if there is a lock file or similar???

In /etc/sysconfig/vncservers I have VNCSERVERS="1:root" for now till I get tit solved then I will add myself as a common user.

BTW. KG4CBK, a ham call? I am VK3JMA

Regards

Mark

Suggest you not use root for the vnc session but setup a regular user. If you need to perform an operation that requires root privileges it will prompt you for roots password or you can startup a terminal session and use su - to switch to root.

Yes, that is my call sign. Have met several other hams on this board. :)