PDA

View Full Version : Matroska playback on Mplayer or Xine

D@ Mick
10th December 2003, 11:00 AM
Hi,

how can I get Matroska to play mkv files on mplayer or Xine. But one thing is for shure, I don't want to use cvs versions of Mplayer or Xine becouse I'm not that experianced with linux yet.

thx

venson
17th February 2004, 08:06 PM
Ran into this recently. What i did was to get a source rpm of mplayer, and recompile it. Most of the pre-compiled binaries available have the matroska plugin disabled among other things (!). Once that was done, i could successfully play the matroska file.

One thing to note is that, when i recompiled, i might've left out on some plugins, so i lost other functionality. After i was done with viewing the matroska file, i reverted back to the available binary for convenience sake. I might still have the rpm i compiled (with matroska plugin enabled) if you're interested. Leave me a note and we'll work out a way to get it through to you.
--venson

vorte[x]
18th February 2004, 04:36 AM
Hi venson,

Ran into this recently. What i did was to get a source rpm of mplayer, and recompile it. Most of the pre-compiled binaries available have the matroska plugin disabled among other things (!). Once that was done, i could successfully play the matroska file.

One thing to note is that, when i recompiled, i might've left out on some plugins, so i lost other functionality. After i was done with viewing the matroska file, i reverted back to the available binary for convenience sake. I might still have the rpm i compiled (with matroska plugin enabled) if you're interested. Leave me a note and we'll work out a way to get it through to you.
--venson

When you get time, could you maybe write a short guide on how to do this exactly? Just a thought, you need not do anything :)

- V

venson
20th February 2004, 11:59 AM
To rebuild pretty much any rpm from a src.rpm, do this:

rpmbuild --rebuild foo.src.rpm

Give it a while to complete. Once done, the rpm will be in %rpmbuild_root%/RPMS/i386

Then you go on and install it by doing "rpm -Uvh foo.i386.rpm"

Note that this has worked for me only on mplayer. I haven't used xine at all, and you ought to figure that part out for yourself.

Further reading: Visit rpm.org for more information on building and installing rpm's. There is also mentioned a way to safely build rpm's in user space (instead of root) which is HIGHLY recommended.

Have fun! :)
--venson