PDA

View Full Version : wireless n/w toshiba m45s331 FC4

princeofpersia
30th June 2005, 06:27 PM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how to make the wireless card work on a toshiba m45s331 with Fedora Core 4. It has an Intel ProWireless 2200BG card. Its getting detected as eth0, the funny thing is that the Ethernet Controller on the laptop is not getting detected at all. There is a firmware available for the wireless card at:

http://atrpms.net/dist/common/ipw2200-firmware/

I have tried installing it, but to no avail. Is there anything else that I should try out? Also, how do I get the Ethernet controller working?

Thanks

princeofpersia
30th June 2005, 08:00 PM
Just to quickly add details to my wireless network troubles as mentioned above. I did a /sbin/lspci and got the following dump. As can be seen, both the Ethernet and the wireless card are shown, but the wireless card is detected as eth0 and I don't see the Ethernet controller in the Hardware browser or any other network wizards. Any help is really appreciated!

################################################## ##############
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 04)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d4)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 04)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8036 Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 10)
05:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)
05:06.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
05:06.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
05:06.3 Unknown mass storage controller: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
05:06.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments Texas Instruments PCI6411, PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI7411, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure Digital (SD)
################################################## ##############

tsukasa_au
3rd July 2005, 06:45 AM
Hi princeofpersia,

I have just purchased the same laptop as you a little while ago, took me a couple of days to figure this out, so i hope this helps you.

To use your ethernet card you will need the drivers that are available from the following page: http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk9elin.htm

In regards to your Wirelss problems, if you check the output from dmesg, do you see any messages talking about "irq 11: nobody cared!" or "Disabling IRQ #11", if so then this could be your problem. I have found two ways to fix this.

The first is to adjust your kernel parameters, if you want to check if this will solve you problem, when the boot loader starts up, press the 'a' key, then add the following to the end of the command line "acpi=noirq pci=usepirqmask" (without the quotes). If this works then you can adjust the /boot/grub/menu.lst file to state this.

The other method i found is not for the faint of heart. It requires you to compile your own kernel. I found by removing the firewire (ieee1394) support from the kernel that this interupt does not get disabled.

pandasonic
5th July 2005, 03:07 AM
Hey. same laptop here.. same issues

I downloaded the drivers from syskonnect but I can't seem to install them properly, how did you get it to work tsukasa_au ?

Thanks.

tsukasa_au
5th July 2005, 01:58 PM
Sorry about the wait,

What are you having problems with? (ie, what messags are you getting, and what did you type to get the error message?).

princeofpersia
5th July 2005, 08:22 PM
Hi tsukasa_au,

Thanks for your suggestions, I will definitely give it a try and keep everyone updated. BTW, I installed NetworkManager for FC4. It gets to scan the wireless networks and even detects my school wireless network, but doesn't seem to connect. I guess, I need to play around with the firewall settings (I have disabled the firewall for HTTP and SSh traffic for testing) and ESSID.

If there is someone around with the same laptop or with similar issues, they can gladly comment. I also managed to get MP3s working in FC4.

Thanks again!

pandasonic
6th July 2005, 05:06 PM
Hi, thanks for responding. I'm heading to work right now but I'll update with the message I keep getting when I get back later tonight. Talk to you later.

princeofpersia
7th July 2005, 10:52 PM
Hi tsukasa_au,

I installed theEthernet drivers as you recommended. I had to compile the kernel to do so, the steps provided in the readme file really helped since I am not a Linux power user. The good thing now is that both the Ethernet card and the wireless card are detected as eth0 and eth1 respectively.

Now, when I boot my laptop I get the following errors:

###########################################

Disabling IRQ# 11

Determining IP information for eth0...
Bringing interface eth1: Error for wireless required "Set Bit Rate" 8B20
SET failed on eth1; operation not supported...

The system hangs for a while trying to determine the IP for eth0 and eth1, but after the above failures boots normally. I looked into the Hardware Browser and both the Intel PRO Wireless 2200 BG and Marvell 88E8036 Ethernet Controller are detected. When I try to activate the network controllers via the Network Device Control, I get errors such as "Determining IP info for eth1...failed". KWiFiManager is able to detect the available wireless networks, but is unable to connect to them due to lack of an IP address. I tried using Network Manager (which works on my friend's Compaq just fine and is able to seamlessly connect wirelessly), but I am still unable to connect. You had mentioned about the IRQ# 11 error which I get at boot up which makes me think of a possible IRQ conflict. You had mentioned about changing kernel parameters. But, I am unable to get to the command line by pressing 'a' when Grub starts up (or maybe I am doing it wrong).

The following is my /boot/grub/menu.lst file:

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
# root (hd0,8)
# kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/sda9
# initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sda
default=1
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,8)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
password --md5 $1$gAlhWfUG$fDXgizXFGeBZXx9VTaL29/
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Where can I add "acpi=noirq pci=usepirqmask" in the above file? I am not much of a pro at Linux. Will the above line prevent me from booting into Windows if I have problems (I have a Windows XP and FC4 dual boot laptop)? I really appreciate all your help so far. If I am able to solve this issue I will put up a How To? in this forum so otherss won't have to take the trouble.

Thanks again!

tsukasa_au
8th July 2005, 01:51 PM
The reason that you are not able to change the settings in grub by pressing 'a' is because you have password protection turned on. You can just make the changes to the grub file itself (note, this will make the setting permenent, pressing the 'a' button during boot only chages the option for that boot). The line you need change is the one that starts with "kernel", just place the parameters at the end of this line.

I have just been doing some experimenting with different settings (with the standard kernel) on my laptop, and i found that instead of using the "acpi=noirq pci=usepirqmask" parameter, that if you just put "acpi_irq_balance", it stops the irq from being disabled, and seems to fix the performance issue i was having with the "acpi=noirq pci=usepirqmask" option.

After you have changed the parameters, you will still notice the message about "Set Bit Rate", i have found this message to be fairly harmless (it seems the driver does not allow you to change the connection speed manually), so you can safely ignore that message.

The idea of a HowTo sounds great. If you do write the howto, just something that i have found in my travels... It seems that Toshiba sells the same laptop under two different model names (depending on what country you purchased it). The other model name/number that the laptop goes by is the Satellite M40/K00 (which is actually what mine is called).

princeofpersia
11th July 2005, 11:34 PM
Hi tsukasa_au,

Thanks for all your help! My wireless is finally working! I used the "acpi_irq_balance" parameter in menu.lst and it works fine. I still get the error for my Ethernet card and as soon as I get around that issue, I will post the How To.

Thanks again!!!

princeofpersia
12th July 2005, 11:28 PM
Hi tsukasa_au,

I have set up a thread on how to set up wireless under FC4 for the Toshiba M45-S331 laptop at:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=304499#post304499

Thanks

Bang
9th April 2006, 02:10 PM
hi i have error in eth1 at boot time..
i will let u the error
wireless n/w card is intel 2200bg
laptop is vaio and i have install fedora 4...

Bang
10th April 2006, 09:24 AM
Hi ihave intel pro/wireless 2200bg n/w card..in sony laptop...
i want to use net thru wifi...
I have also error to do net..thru eth0...
eth0 is perfect , my modem is ping in konsole but net is not working...What is the other setting to do in firefox...
And for wireless.....
It display error at booting at eth1 is

Device does not seem to be present,device delay intilizing.....

what do u thik ,Driver need to install or what else to do? Please hemp me out
My email is bmk3g@yahoo.com