PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Core 4 Bootup

Daizy
28th June 2005, 01:43 PM
I'm going to keep this short but I just wanted to say how nice FC4 really is.

The first time FC4 booted up I was amazed at how fast it booted up! On my computer XP wouldn't look very good in comparison, I keep rebooting just to see if it really was that fast!

BTW I don't use XP, I only installed it on my old harddisk so I could play HL2 *sic*. I cleared HL2 in two days and haven't used XP since, in fact I took the harddisk with XP on it out of the system. I only put the Harddisk back in two days ago to backup FC3!

Fedora Core 4 is going to be the Linux distro to beat this year. Gnome starts up faster, KDE is relatively quicker too, but it's the bootup! What have they done to improve kudzu & HAL I don't know but it's impressive!

Thankyou Fedora Core developers, you're really fantastic guys! I can't wait for my fellow computer using friends to see it boot, I'll just sit quietly confident as it cleans the floor with their OS's! hehehe. :)

Has anyone else found FC4's bootup time unbelieveable?

92b16vx
28th June 2005, 02:04 PM
No, I haven't, it takes three minutes almost exactly to boot up fromselecting in grub till my desktop is running.

bitrain
28th June 2005, 03:02 PM
32% faster then fc3 :D
What have they done to improve kudzu & HAL I don't know but it's impressive!They use your system 100% during bootup, while in fc3 it only used a part, say full harddrive but only a few % cpu (or something). I used bootchart to meassure the times, and that's where I saw how it booted, with what startng when.

tudawggz
1st July 2005, 01:30 PM
I am currently running a PIII 450 and was running FC3. I just switched to FC4 and can already see a difference in speed overall. I don't know what all was done but it seems to be noticably faster all around.