PDA

View Full Version : FC3-->FC4: external modem serial port change?

Nightwing75
27th June 2005, 04:58 PM
Hello,

After upgrading from FC3 to FC4 (clean install), I found that the serial port for my modem's changed from /dev/ttyS4 to /dev/ttyS14. Since kppp doesn't have an entry in its pulldown serial port options menu for ttyS14, I'm unable to get online. Trying to create a link ("ln -s /dev/ttyS14 /dev/modem") didn't work either. Using the Hardware Detection Browser does show that the system does recognize the modem is there (at ttyS14), however. Thus, I reinstalled FC3 so I could get online...

The hardware, if it's important: 256 MB RAM, 80 GB hard drive, 2.4 ghz Celeron processor, standard-issue 56k external serial modem (the modem in question). I did partition the hard drive (correctly far as I can tell) to add a "/home" partition; I also am using a different keyboard from when I originally installed FC3 (though for unrelated reasons, will probably be reinstalling the old keyboard).

So, is there any way to fix this problem? Some fix/hack for kppp? Some *other* means of dialing in (which I don't know how----trying Gnome's Network Device Control doesn't work)?