PDA

View Full Version : Can't get DRI working on FC3 / ATI IGP 340M

Exsuscito
26th June 2005, 11:48 PM
Kernel 2.6.11-1.27_FC3
Fedora Core 3
Xorg 6.8.2

I cannot understand why DRI does not work on IGP 340M automatically. I haven't gotten it working yet on my Pavilion ze4229 and according to other posts I should have no problems.

I looked at Scoob_E's well-written HOWTO thread (http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1740) for this line of Pavilion laptops/notebooks, but discovered that it was not useful for Fedora Core 3 because Xorg 6.8.2 already comes with the appropriate ATI IGP drivers (or so it says).

Here's the device section of my Xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"

Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "ATI"
BoardName "ATI Radeon IGP330M/340M/350M"
VideoRam 65536
Option "DPMS"
Option "AGPMode" "4"
Option "AGPFastWrite" "On"
Option "EnablePageFlip" "On"
BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering" reveals:

direct rendering: No

And glxgears produces:

1274 frames in 5.0 seconds = 254.800 FPS

Not cool! and I realized something was terribly wrong when trying out my first Linux OpenGL game today ppracer and it was like pea-soup; I think I was getting 1 FPS :eek: (you read that right, 1 frame per second). As I watched the slideshow, I recalled (in contrast) the success I had playing the Halo demo on this notebook under Windows, which at the time was quite the benchmark if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, this notebook can do a LOT better. Not saying I'm going back to Windows, just that I know the hardware can do it.

The question is, where is that one setting or one little download that will unlock the video power in this thing for Linux? And specifically, how come direct rendering won't work?

NOTE: I was reading the Xorg ATI Adapters README and found this, but I haven't tried it yet (getting tired of trying things that don't work):

5.1. Driver ``ati''

The use of this specification is highly recommended if the ``Device'' section is to be recognised by the driver. In fact, it is almost (but not quite) mandatory, particularly when using the loader server as it indicates what driver is to be loaded and associated with the ``Device'' section.