PDA

View Full Version : iMac g3 400 GDM login freeze

elim
25th June 2005, 11:24 PM
I have twice tried and failed to install fredora on my iMac g3 400 tray loading with 640 mb of ram and it just freezes as soon as i have typed in my password and press enter it just locks then ten minutes later i get an option to "make default" i click on that and then it locks again, i cannot understand it. I have used gentoo and ubuntu linux successfully on this mac and the latter used gdm so im at a loss as to what the problem is. Its rediculasly slow so much so its about 1/10 of the performance of the previous distros i have used and i dont think it fully functions. I will try again tomorrow only installing a "bare" system with only gnome and its dependancies. Before i have installed kde, and java and loads of things

JLF_65
27th June 2005, 01:17 AM
I did a FULL install of FC4 on my iMac DV+ (450MHz G3 slot loader). Basically, just this side of everything. I don't have any trouble, but I set it to auto-login after installing. I haven't noticed any problems, speed or otherwise, yet.

elim
27th June 2005, 04:05 PM
I actually got into the descktop yesterday, the mouse moved with a 3 minute delay jolty as .... and it was terrible loading an update program took 15 minutes and when it did eventaully load i was not able to interact with it and i eventually gave upon fredora it simply refused to work properly, im now very happy running ubuntu unstable and its running like a dream comparable with the desktop responsivness off my amd 64 3400 and im not exagerating. I am suspecious of whether it is the way which the fredora kernel is compiled because i have NEVER had it that slow. I think i will stick with ubuntu for the forceabl future really it seems to have a bigger repository with more useful programs in it aswell (debian unstable universe to boot) so im happy. I hope fredora improves in the future maybe ill come back when it performs slightly better than my 386.

everettattebury
16th June 2006, 07:51 PM
If you comment out the line in xorg.conf that says "load DRI" it should work properly.