PDA

View Full Version : Remove Mozilla

carlwill
24th June 2005, 08:25 PM
What is the command to have YUM remove Mozilla Web Browser from my system and other apps that came on Gnome that I no longer need. I have to find their exact name like mozilla-1.7.938yr93869286389.2 in order to

yum remove app_name

kg4cbk
24th June 2005, 09:14 PM
You can get a list of installed packages using:

rpm -qa

If you want to search that list for particlar packages you can use grep like this:

rpm -qa | grep mozilla

which will list just packages that have mozilla in their names.

carlwill
24th June 2005, 11:14 PM
So I will need to search for everything with "Mozilla" in the name & then give a single command to remove each one of those entries per command?

I would think there is one single command that would remove all things that use "Mozilla".

kg4cbk
24th June 2005, 11:28 PM
You should not find more that about 3 packages that have mozilla in the name.

You can list them all on the same line if you like, and using cut and paste in the terminal means you don't have to type them. :)

Of course you could write a script that would run the rpm command searching for the pattern you pass it and it could assemble the command to remove the packages for you. But for a task that will only take a couple of minutes I am sure most people would take much longer to write such a script.

BladeMelbourne
25th June 2005, 01:17 AM
I would use:
rpm -qa | grep mozilla
as mentioned above, and depending upon the results returned run this (removing packages that were not in the output of the above command):

rpm --erase mozilla mozilla-chat mozilla-devel mozilla-dom-inspector mozilla-js-debugger mozilla-mail mozilla-nspr mozilla-nspr-devel mozilla-nss mozilla-nss-devel

That's how we did it before yum.

HTH,

Mike

w5set
25th June 2005, 03:44 AM
or just
yum remove mozilla (no caps in name)
but just be aware it removes some other stuff along with it--read the file list it will remove and make your decision.
just DON"T blindly ever use the -y switch with yum--like yum -y remove blah_blah
that "assumes" the answer is always "yes--do it and don't ask me if that's ok"