PDA

View Full Version : cedega :( :( :(

thesource
16th June 2005, 09:26 PM
Honestly, how do you rate this application for playing win32 games on linux?

I have yet to play a game on linux, battlefield1942, doom3, etc... I think this is ripp off.
Why do we even bother playing games made for windows.

Don't get me wrong I am not underminding the effort being done by transgamers. What really needs to be done is have the companies port those games to LINUX. If you could play a game made for linux or play it through a emulator what would you do? The choice is obvious.

I personally will write the maker of the game and ask them to make a port for linux. No matter what happens I will remain a gamer and will continue to play. I would just prefer to play my games on linux. Really, thats the only reason I keep an XP box around,(had to bash a little.) :D

Hex
16th June 2005, 09:49 PM
In an ideal world all games would be ported to linux, but as the world is not ideal cedega is the best thing running. I use it religiously. Allows me to play City of Heroes and Counterstrike: Source at full speed nicely. HL2:DM is getting there too, it has a ways to go (only supports DX8 atm) but it works, and does what it does well when a game is supported.

hiberphoptik
16th June 2005, 10:09 PM
heh.. i use cedega to play tons of win32 games

max payne
max payne2
world of warcraft
half-life2
steam
counter strike
starcraft
grand theft auto vice city
city of heroes
farcry

are a few of the games install and played using cedega on my system with no problems, and in most cases they perform better than playing them in windows, my guess is they dont have to contend with the windows processes hogging up system resources.

others like doom3, Unreal Tournament, quake, etc... you dont need cedega to play since they have kind enough to provide linux binaries for us

I never want to boot into windows, i never want to use windows, however having some good games to play while using my favorite OS is a huge plus for me

Not to mention the apps, I run Photoshop, Imageready and IE6 in Linux using openoffice (another variant of Wine like cedega) for the website dev and testing that I do.

92b16vx
17th June 2005, 02:37 AM
others like doom3, Unreal Tournament, quake, etc... you dont need cedega to play since they have kind enough to provide linux binaries for us

Really? Doom 3 is linuxable? Cool, now I have an excuse to buy more than the 10GB HD I am currently using :)

How does it look?

hiberphoptik
17th June 2005, 02:43 AM
http://www.liflg.org/?catid=6&gameid=48

there ya go

looks like doom3 :)

92b16vx
17th June 2005, 02:47 AM
Right click bookmarks>bookmark page>add

hiberphoptik
17th June 2005, 02:59 AM
to anyone who says there are no games to play in linux...

here is my games menu, some of these are linux native and others are using cedega and they all work great!

http://home.comcast.net/~orthonovum/games.jpg