PDA

View Full Version : XMame and ALSA stuff.

madape
16th February 2004, 09:45 AM
Not sure if this is a Fedora question or a Linux in general question.

After trying to install XMame (with my limited experience of rpm packages), I was told that it had dependencies alsa-(something or other), libsound.0.2 and libsound.0.2(ALSA). After looking up what ALSA is, I thought "oooo, I'd better install that then".

But then, after searching, I found hundereds of files for different kernels, sound cards etc. And I'm not even sure if my sound will support ALSA (I use the onboard SiS sound on my motherboard).

My Linux machine has no access to the internet.

And most of the alsa downloads are in .tar.gz type files. I assume these are the source files and need to be compiled (an area I don't relish the thought of). How do I know which files in the ALSA ftp area to download? Should I even be installing this?
I'm a little confused. Any information would be very helpful :)

mhelios
16th February 2004, 10:54 AM
Hi madape

Before trying to install ALSA drivers, add the following repo (if not already) to your /etc/yum.conf:

[freshrpms-fc-1]
name=Fedora Project $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms

Then if you type as root: `yum install xmame` it will sort out dependencies for you. There are also others there you may want/need to install. They are:

xmame-roms
xmame-x11
xmame-xgl
gxmame <-- GTK GUI frontend

A good tutorial on setting up ALSA is at:
http://foolish.digitalinc.info/docs/alsa/

Note, that FC2 will come default with ALSA sound as it's (finally) replacing the aged OSS drivers.

madape
16th February 2004, 11:04 AM
I assume this downloads all files that program depends on from a central server?

But since getting the Linux computer hooked up to the internet is out of the question at the moment, would I be able to update my system from the new FC2 release, as opposed to a full reinstall? Or would it not touch the sound drivers?

Thanks for the alsa look, I'll have a quick butchers

mhelios
16th February 2004, 11:14 AM
I assume this downloads all files that program depends on from a central server?
Yes a "repo" is short for repository and is a server hosting RPM packages that can be downloaded using tools such as yum and apt.

would I be able to update my system from the new FC2 release, as opposed to a full reinstall? Or would it not touch the sound drivers?
Sorry, not sure what you mean here..
FC2 is not due to be released until late April (see schedule here (http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule) ).
A first test release has just been released however that you can download and try out. (See my post in the News forum if interested). However, don't upgrade from FC1 to FC2test1 -- install it on a new partition.

madape
16th February 2004, 11:16 AM
On second thoughts, after reading the howto that you supplied, mhelios, I think I'll stick with things as they are.

There's a wonderful phrase I use a lot, "If it aint broke, don't fix it". And if my system is working just the way it should, and these new drivers are only really for letting me play the odd arcade game, then it doensn't really warrant the change.

Be just as easy to download one of the MAME-live-CD things that are around for that purpose.

Many thanks for the help anyway :) You have done credit to yourself and to your family name

mhelios
16th February 2004, 11:23 AM
That's a great saying that I also like to stick to, however, don't feel put off by the fact that it's not a quick process -- you'll be amazed by the difference in sound quality! When I installed them, I thought to myself: Wow, I wish I'd installed these earlier! That's also a good reason why FC2 will come with these over the inferior OSS drivers.
But, if you're happy as it is, wait for FC2 for ALSA or try out the new test1 release to get a taste for things to come.
BTW, you're using another PC to access the Internet I'd assume? Have you thought of sharing your Internet access with your Fedora PC over an LAN?

:)

madape
16th February 2004, 11:40 AM
BTW, you're using another PC to access the Internet I'd assume? Have you thought of sharing your Internet access with your Fedora PC over an LAN?

I've thought of it, but don't have the courage to do it at the moment. I'm learning Linux things at the moment, networking will come later :)

Your high praise of ALSA has made me reconsider. I'm in two minds now. I'll have to think about it during the day

Is the sound really that much of an improvement? I'm not sure if the basic speakers I have would do the sound justice. Is there any chance of the ALSA drivers not working? I mean, it says in the howto to delete the existing sound drivers, and activate the new ones, and I wouldn't want to be left with no sound at all if the new ones didn't support my little onboard sound chip :)

madape
16th February 2004, 11:49 AM
Having looked at the alsa site more closely, it seems my SiS 650 chip may not be supported. XMame may only be a dream then :(