PDA

View Full Version : Multi hard-drive problem....Installlation

twn_onizuka
11th June 2005, 10:17 AM
Hi guys, im new to fedora core 3...i used to use corel linux (yes, i know...most of you guys were in your nappies...j/kin) and decided to relive command bashing an os...but mostly want to get use to the interface since i used unix and loved it....

My comp specs are;
Vid card: Nvidia gf2 ti 64mn
CPU: Intel p4 willamete core (0.18um) 1.6 @2.0g
Ram: 512 mb (elixr)
Dvd burner: BenQ 1620 pro
CD-Burner: Asus 1610a
Hard drive: ~ 80gig WD 8mb spec. Buffer (hda)
~ 6 gig Maxtor (Hdb)
Ok, done with the formality...Here's my problem
My windows XP and my loved files are on my 80 gig hard-drive (IDE-0, master) and i managed to scam a 6 gig from a friend (IDE-0, slave)...ive changed my boot up sequence for the Ide-0 slave so i could install a fresh FC3 on it. I installed grub onto the mbr of the hdb or slave h/d...by altering the sequence and added/edited an extra link to hda's windows XP....Everything installs dandy, however when i reboot i can interupt the count down (set windows xp as default link) and enter fc3; however if let it count down it won't enter windows xp. It says
Booting windows xp
chain-logger +1 or something
and something to with verifynoharddisk...can't remeber the details....~ so the million dollar question (its pun) how can i get it to log into xp and fc 3 through grub without disturbing my hda/windows xp/wd hard-drive (have a lot of my research on it)????

Other questsions...
When i enter fc3 and go through the explorer i cant see my WD/hda/windows xp hard-disk (VFAT 32) i remember i installed a program the package in the custom folder to see it....
Also, when i plug in my usb ram drive i cant see it, i know i have to type "mount XYZ" in the shell...but what...can you guys help my with my questions?

tanis
11th June 2005, 10:21 AM
i have a similar problem
thoght i just let fedora figure out the OS and it calls it other.
hey could this be because my win xp partition is NTFS

bitrain
11th June 2005, 10:34 AM
Also, when i plug in my usb ram drive i cant see it, i know i have to type "mount XYZ" in the shell...but what...can you guys help my with my questions?Create a directory in /media, say usb_stick then do mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb_stick
The /dev entrie can be different on your system.
I think you need to do the same for your harddisk.

What does you /boot/grub/grub.conf say? (for your grub problem)

twn_onizuka
11th June 2005, 10:35 AM
Im not using NTFS...dont want to support M$ that much...i can only blame cambridge and hyperchem for releasing it on windows...

twn_onizuka
11th June 2005, 10:46 AM
bitrain what do i read the grub file with?....nedit???

twn_onizuka
11th June 2005, 10:48 AM
bitrain why do you need to create a directory?...

bitrain
11th June 2005, 11:05 AM
bitrain why do you need to create a directory?...If there are more devices connected they will also need to use /media, I don't know what happens if all devices use media without a subdirectory.

bitrain what do i read the grub file with?....nedit???cat /boot/grub/grub.conf <-- will output everything into your terminal window. Or you can use nedit, gedit, kedit, mc, ...

twn_onizuka
11th June 2005, 12:17 PM
Can anyone help me with my problem?...i dont want to keep changing my bios everytime i boot up ....