PDA

View Full Version : Customizing Login Screen

BigJ
7th June 2005, 10:33 PM
I've searched the web for instructions on how to create a customized login screen for FC3 build, but I simply have not been able to find anything. I'm using one of the GNOME login screens that comes with FC3 now, but I'd like to create my own if possible. I'm not sure how complicated this might be, but after seeing all the cool GDM Themes at

http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=150

I've become interested in making my own.

Does anyone know of a good resource that could help a complete beginner such as myself to learn how to create GDM Themes?

Thanks,

bigJ

jtang613
7th June 2005, 10:59 PM
Just examine the samples from gnome-look.org - not terribly complicated.

BigJ
7th June 2005, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the reply jtang613, unfortunately it is a bit more complicated than that. As noted, I know little to nothing about Linux yet, I'm still learning as I go. My grasp of the command line is minimal, and I'm just beginning to learn how to customize things.

So, by examine the samples do you mean download a theme I like on gnome-look and then look at the code? I assumed that I would do that on my first few tries, but I really don't know what I would be looking at, assuming I could figure out how to view the code in the first place. Any advice beyond that provided already? :)

Thanks,

bigJ

jtang613
7th June 2005, 11:23 PM
Download one or two of the custom gdm themes from gnome-look, extract the archive into an empty directory and open the *.xml file and *.desktop file. The XML file contains a description of the GDM layout. The 'desktop' file contains summary info. The rest are just image files. You don't even need to know any command line stuff to do this. It's all XML.

Jason

BigJ
7th June 2005, 11:40 PM
Great, I'll give that a try. I was not aware that they were in XML format. I don't know much about that either, but I appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

bigJ

jtang613
8th June 2005, 01:09 AM
You'll find it's very similar to html.