PDA

View Full Version : VGA cards replacement problem

shahryar ahmed
24th May 2005, 12:58 PM
HELLO Friends!
I am using fedora core 3. When i install fedora i have S3 VGA card installed. Then i replaced my VGA card with Trident. Now when i boot fedora i doesn't boot normally. Please tell me what should i do to configure my VGA card when i have installed linux

Waiting for your reply

Regards
Shahryar ahmed :)

shahryar ahmed
24th May 2005, 05:38 PM
Hello
Nobody has answered my query. please friends tell me that how i do it. i will be very much thankful to you

Regards
Shahryar :)

tashirosgt
24th May 2005, 06:29 PM
The severity of your problem isn't clear. When you say "doesn't boot normally", what does this mean? Do you get a legible login screen? If you can login, can you see the desk top?
If you can see the desk top and open a terminal, have you tried running
system-config-display
?

imdeemvp
24th May 2005, 06:40 PM
Did you also get a prompt telling you your previos video card was no longer present? and if so did you remove its configuration because if you KEPT configuration xorg still thinks you are using same card. If you are in text mode just enter your user name and become root and run:
system-config-display and under hardware reconfigure your card with correct model.

shahryar ahmed
25th May 2005, 05:15 AM
Hello Friends :)
Doesn't boot normally means that my system stops at the following point:-

Configuring kernel parameters

and doesn't proceed furthur. i doesn't seen any login screen and desktop where i run that system-config-display command. Also i am not getting any prompt where it displays to remove the previous card and configure a new card. Is it possible in fedora that i boot in rescue mode and configure my card or what should i do now.

Waiting for ur reply. :rolleyes:

Regards
Shahryar ahmed ;)

tashirosgt
25th May 2005, 05:21 AM
Yes, it should be possible to boot in the rescue mode. If you can do that look in /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see what you have for the videocard driver. How easy it will be to fix will depend on whether the driver for your new card is already available in FC3. Excactly what model of Triden is it? You can try the generic "vesa" driver and use a low resolution Mode like "800x600" to get the system booting normally.

Do you see the grub screen? Hit the spacebar when you see it and read the directions for editing the boot options.
Replace "rhgb quiet" by the number 1 to boot to a text mode.