PDA

View Full Version : problem mounting cdrom!!

elmagozizou
27th April 2005, 04:58 PM
Hi! I dont know why i cant mount my cdrecorder drive...
When Im in the desktop view..muy player doest read my audio cds...and when I try to get to /media/cdrecorder
it doesnt show me the files in the cd...
I try changing the mount point to /mnt/cdrom, but its the same...

Can anybody help me?? Sorry for my bad english

bitrain
27th April 2005, 05:02 PM
Can you try this (with a cdrom in your computer):

mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder
and post any output.

Edit: sorry, wrong media directory

jayemef
27th April 2005, 05:10 PM
You want your designated mountpoint to be the one designated in your /etc/fstab. So open your /etc/fstab and see what it is. You should see a line that reads something similar to

/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,fscontext=system_u:object_r :removable_t,managed 0 0

If this is the case, first make sure you have the directory /media/cdrecorder. Then, to mount your cd, run

$ mount /media/cdrecorder

(bitrain's solution will work as well, provided /media/cdrecorder exists. However, this method requires less typing :))

Clunixchit
27th April 2005, 05:12 PM
In case, nothing works, you can try my howto :http://spaces.msn.com/members/chitlesh/

elmagozizou
27th April 2005, 08:01 PM
Thx to all but Ive still have the problem...i try with the floppy drive and its ok...
Look at this...

[root@dc9f3a45c /]# mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder (The directory already exist)
/dev/hdc: Error de entrada/salida (In/out error)
mount: /dev/hdc: no se puede leer el superbloque (cant read the superblock)

Clunixchit
28th April 2005, 12:54 AM
Try to umount the cdrom first !! then mount it

another thing is that the way the cdrom was burned may not be compatible with the built in plugin to view it.
have you burned your cd from windoz?

elmagozizou
28th April 2005, 03:12 AM
I've been trying with all my cd's, even with originals cd's...nothing works!!
the problem is just with audio cd's... Dat cd's are find, even if is just a mp3 disk

nordicart
28th April 2005, 03:18 AM
Hi,

To listen to audio cds with linux you do not mount the cds. The audio programs, generally, are able to play them without mounting. In fact if you try to mount an audio only cd you will get the same exact error every time.

elmagozizou
28th April 2005, 04:21 AM
yeah...but there was when the problem stars...my players doesn't read the audio cd's...I try with KsCD and Music player...

It's a shame!! I want to hear music!!!

nordicart
28th April 2005, 04:50 AM
You may need to un-mute and turn up the volume for the cd input. To do this run kmix, select the input tab, turn on and raise the volume settings for the "aux" settings.

If this doesn't work then when you run kscd, with a cd in your cd drive and without mounting the audio cd, does it give an error message?

jayemef
28th April 2005, 05:44 AM
Even if it's a sound problem, you should still be capable of mounting the device. How up to date are you? This could very well be your problem. There have been several udev updates since FC3 was released. Try running a

# yum update

Sammy
28th April 2005, 08:32 AM
I have been reminded more than once that there is no way to mount audio CDs with filenames and icons in the traditional sense, which is windows thing (a mac thing too). There is no real filesystem to mount... just a simple record (table of contents) listing on what part of the CD a track begins, measured in milliseconds. Windows creates an artiificial representation meant to look like one, but with pointers that look like files. They are are nothing more than icons that are created on the fly that repesent these points on the CD. They are not even shortcuts because they dont point to a file, just a time location on the CD.

When you use XMMS or other player, see if it lists track1 track 2 etc in the playlist. If so, then its working. But as posted above, its a sound problem.

Oh... and as for audio CDs that you record, make sure the disks are closed. Dont assume they are, as we all make mistakes ;o) I Doubt this is the problem your experiencing since its with prerecorded ones as well. But its something to remember

Sammy
28th April 2005, 09:20 AM
know what? I take part of that back. Seems it didnt use the windows thing before, but does now. Meaning.... it still cannot be 'mounted' like data CDs. But its available and is useful if you want to rip CDs. copy/paste should extract the audio. Ive never done this however.

But for your problem (sound related... or more properly, player related)...
If, for example, you use XMMS (best player IMHO) you need to go to the audio CD plugin in the preferences and make sure the correct paths to the drive (both /dev/xxx and /media/xxx, or /mnt/xxx) are in the settings. Also, make sure digital audio extraction is set (thats an important one, or you will get silence). Then... you can go to cdrecorder, or whatever your mount point is, and add the directory... or you can add a file using the files load option instead of the directory one.

elmagozizou
28th April 2005, 07:51 PM
yeah..thxz to all..but I think is not an audio problem...because my player does't read de cd...it says "no disc"...so is not an audio problem....i dont know if is because i dont update my OS, but I haven't because the last time i do that, the computer does't start my OS again... and to format my partition to solve the problem...

jayemef
28th April 2005, 08:07 PM
If you aren't willing to update your system, you should seriously consider running a different distribution. Fedora is considered "bleeding edge," meaning it is much more fast-paced, with many experimental and brand new packages produced for it. As such, updates are released often. I'm sorry if you've had a bad experience with updating before, but you have to keep in mind that that is a relatively uncommon occurance. Additionally, once people begin reporting conflicts with updates, the problem gets fixed. Most of the time, you won't even notice the updates, and on the times you do, it's generally because of something good.

So I would suggest either routinely updating your system, or switching to another distribution. There are other fine ones out there that are RedHat based, such as CentOS and whitebox. Give em a try.

Sammy
28th April 2005, 10:11 PM
Have you looked to see if the tracks are in the CDA section of Konqueror? A CDA will not mount like a dataCD/CDROM. Remember, its a fiction. As far as Fedora is concerned there is none. You can read data CDs, right? So its not the drive, and is there a problem in the OS recognising them.

If you assume what the problem is without exploring all avenues, it will only lead to fustration. Trust me I know. Again if the file browser sees it (in CDA, not CDROM), then the OS knows its there... as a CD audio disk. Then check the player config that points to where the CD drive is. Example: on mine the fstab default was /dev/hdc/ but the XMMS default was in /dev/cdrom. Oh... and it used /mnt instead of /media... as Fedora is now. Maybe in the future they will change that :o)

elmagozizou
29th April 2005, 12:55 AM
ok... I'm gonna try with XMMS..I have to download it, and Im gonna try to update my OS...so I have a question..

when Im updating it says that there are two packages to be omitted...this packages are two kernel packages...now my question is...do I have to check the boxes or not?

PD: Sorry for my bad english...I`m from Venezuela...

elmagozizou
29th April 2005, 02:17 AM
yujuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!! I solve the problem...yeah I pay for been a Newby!! ksCD I find the configruration of kscd and in efect there eas taking the device in /dev/cdrom and it supose to be on /dev/hdc...I change it and BINGO!!!...
Any way can anybody answer me the update part in the previus post?

nordicart
29th April 2005, 05:19 AM
Sometimes, when the kernel package is updated, there can be some problems with the new kernel with respect to hardware or software. I remember one time, when I updated my kernel, I was not able to burn cds with k3b from a non-root account. Also there are some systems which employ special kernel modules which must be updated along with the kernel. This is why it is not selected to be updated by default. For these reasons it is usually recommended that you install the new kernel instead of upgrading. In this situation you have the old kernel you can run, from the grub selection menu at boot time, if the new kernel doesn't run properly. Then after you are certain the new kernel will work with your system you can then uninstall the old kernel.

By this method you dowload the kernel for you cpu architecture. To install you type the following:

rpm -ivh kernel*rpm

This will leave the old kernel in place and install the new one. You would then change the default kernel through the program "Bootloader Configuration" under the System settings menu. Then reboot into the new kernel.

To unstall the old kernel you would then do the following. Type in a console shell:

rpm -q kernel

If you will receive the answer somethin like:

kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3

To uninstall the old kernel you would type in:

rpm -e kernel-2.6.10-1.770_FC3

To only uninstall the old kernel you must include the corresponding version number exactly or you may accidentally uninstall you new kernel.

If, instead, you just wanted to upgrade the kernel you would then have to check the box for the newest kernel version for your system in order to upgrade it.

JaimeC
29th April 2005, 09:45 PM
Hello,

I'm new to Fedora and I'm trying to use my cdrom to download some files/programs to my desktop. I can see my cdrom icon, but when I try to open it asks me what I want to open it with and shows a list of files. Why is it doing this and why doesn't it just open?

I really appreciate your help. THANKS!

jc

sgtbob
18th May 2005, 05:21 PM
I'm having a similar problem. My CD Rom will permit installation, but after that, I can not get a data CD to load and can not get it out of the drive - the system doesn't seem to recognize the CD Rom drive. Here is what is in my /etc/fstab file:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/hdb /media/floppy auto
pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy1 auto pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t ,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

In trying the above suggestion:
[root@localhost ~]# mount /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/hdc already mounted or /media/cdrecorder busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdc is already mounted on /media/cdrecorder
[root@localhost ~]#

The foregoing doesn't let me

I've already run yum update and system is curretn.

Any idea why I can't get the CDRom mounted? It used to do this automatically until I had to re-install everything.

Bob

Sammy
18th May 2005, 06:48 PM
JamieC: try mounting it first. It may not automount.