PDA

View Full Version : Fonts look a bit dreary? Try this...

allan
19th April 2005, 09:45 PM
I'd always taken fonts for granted before my recent conversion to the Linux world. After installing Fedora Core and using Gnome as my desktop environment I couldn't help but think that the desktop, especially the fonts, had a slightly washed out appearance. The brilliant Linux Documentation Project had an ideal solution though: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Font-HOWTO/index.html

After following the instructions in section 3 the difference is amazing give it a go, you won't be disappointed.

razi
20th April 2005, 09:55 PM
Wow, I never thought it could get any better with fonts in GNU/Linux.

My konsole looks much better now, thanks so much!

Tristan
20th April 2005, 10:15 PM
Hmm, can't seem to download that RPM with the hint-enabled library. Does anybody know of any mirrors?

Tristan
21st April 2005, 01:13 AM
Well the server seems to be back up, and I've downloaded the hinting-enabled RPM. It really does make a tremendous difference. I highly recommend that everyone (in non-software-patent land, anyway) grabs a copy.

Any chance of this going on Livna, do you think?

cardinal II
23rd April 2005, 01:00 AM
Hi guys, I really want to get this working but I have come across a problem. How did you remove freetype 2.1.9-1, it has so many critical dependencies. In order to install the freetype rpm with BCI support I'd have to first remove the original freetype rpm right? How did you guys get around that problem?

Heon2574
23rd April 2005, 04:28 AM
I did rpm -Uhv new_freetype_with_BCI.rpm

razi
23rd April 2005, 11:09 AM
Hi,

If I may add...just to make sure you cleanly reinstall the BCI-enabled freetype, get the SRPMS instead and then do (as root,--nonroot too complicated for a newbie me):

put in /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
rpm -ivh freeetype_BCI*.src.rpm
cd to SPECS
rpmbuild -bb freetype.spec

things should go well, so you'll get some RPMS built in RPMS dir
then go to RPMS/<maybe ia386> and do rpm -Uvh .... as above

I'm saying this because I saw the files manifest tree in the RPM was not the same as in my installed freetype. Not sure rpm can update that cleanly?...still learning myself.