PDA

View Full Version : Totem vs Mplayer .mov files?

imdeemvp
16th April 2005, 09:31 AM
This is very odd issue and I dont understand what could be wrong. I have a kodak digital cam that records a 1 min. video in .mov format (=quick time files). Mplayer will play the .mov file fine BUT Totem gives me a scratchy sound when playing it. I checked the settings and preferences and have no idea what to adjust in totem so it will play the file as good as mplayer does.

BTW, I have installed the latest win32 codecs. (ftp://ftp3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/) Totem will also play this file with very good sound: http://www.redhat.com/v/magazine/mov/005_FUDCon.mov

raghavendra
16th April 2005, 04:27 PM
Hi
Do you think it is anything to do with ALSA.........maybe totem is using it differently and maybe this particular file has to do something with this ALSA setting.
Yes it is a confusing problem :confused:

imdeemvp
17th April 2005, 11:07 AM
Hi
Do you think it is anything to do with ALSA.........maybe totem is using it differently and maybe this particular file has to do something with this ALSA setting.
Yes it is a confusing problem :confused:
I dont know if is an ALSA issue.....it could that totem needs to be polish a little more. But I am happy that I can play them with mplayer :D

VStrider
17th April 2005, 02:33 PM
imdeemvp, how did you install extra codecs to totem?

i installed mplayer and the "all" package of codecs and everything works in mplayer.
however i can't play anything in totem. i prolly installed the codecs in the wrong place for totem. (i went to preferences and there is a button that says add proprietary plugins. i dropped all the codecs in that folder.)

imdeemvp
18th April 2005, 07:03 AM
You can do it this way, open terminal and become root:
wget ftp://ftp3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/all-20050412.tar.bz2 then unpackage it:
tar jxvf all-20050412.tar.bz2 then put it in a directory:
cp all-20050412/* /usr/lib/win32 and log out or reboot if you want...

VStrider
18th April 2005, 01:37 PM
thx imdeemvp, but totem is still not using the codecs. not to worry, i got mplayer, no probs.

imdeemvp
19th April 2005, 08:30 AM
thx imdeemvp, but totem is still not using the codecs. not to worry, i got mplayer, no probs.
Are you trying to use the totem that comes with fc3? if you try installing it via yum:
yum install totem-xine