PDA

View Full Version : install problems

paul_dundee
4th April 2005, 11:05 PM
i am trying to install fc3 on an 800MHZ g3 ibook.

I have used the boot image to get to the installation.

After i answer the questions (locale etc.) i am asked for the media. I tried NFS install first, and got the following error: the fedora core installation tree in that directory does not seem to match your boot media

So i then burned the fc3 disc 1 and tried to use a cd install, which resulted in: no fedora core cd was found that matches your boot media. Please insert the fedora core cd

the obvious pattern here appears to be the boot image, the image i used came from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.90/ppc/os/images/mac/

anyone have any ideas?

salpula
6th April 2005, 05:37 PM
i am trying to install fc3 on an 800MHZ g3 ibook.

I have used the boot image to get to the installation.

After i answer the questions (locale etc.) i am asked for the media. I tried NFS install first, and got the following error: the fedora core installation tree in that directory does not seem to match your boot media

So i then burned the fc3 disc 1 and tried to use a cd install, which resulted in: no fedora core cd was found that matches your boot media. Please insert the fedora core cd

the obvious pattern here appears to be the boot image, the image i used came from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.90/ppc/os/images/mac/

anyone have any ideas?

Wrong boot disc! Thats the FC4 boot disc.
try: ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/fedora-ppc/fc3-ppc/images/mac/

paul_dundee
6th April 2005, 09:47 PM
Wrong boot disc! Thats the FC4 boot disc.
try: ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/fedora-ppc/fc3-ppc/images/mac/

that was my bad :rolleyes:

i still have the exact same problem, after downloading from that url/

I burned the boot.iso from disc 1, then got a slightly different error: that directory does not appear to hold a fedora core installation tree

any other ideas?

paul_dundee
6th April 2005, 11:26 PM
my /etc/export file:[root@fedora1 /]# cat /etc/exports
/data/network-install/ISO 192.168.1.0/24(ro,sync)
/mnt/downloads/fedora_ppc 192.168.1.0/24(ro,sync)
exportfs result:[root@fedora1 /]# /usr/sbin/exportfs
/data/network-install/ISO
192.168.1.0/24
/mnt/downloads/fedora_ppc
192.168.1.0/24
directory listing:[root@fedora1 /]# ls /mnt/downloads/fedora_ppc/
FC4-test1-ppc-disc1.iso FC4-test1-ppc-disc3.iso
FC4-test1-ppc-disc2.iso FC4-test1-ppc-disc4.iso

On ibook:
NFS Server Name: 192.168.1.1
Fedora Core Directory: /mnt/downloads/fedora_ppc which yields "that directory does not appear to contain a fedora core installation tree"

Not sure if this info is any use, but if any more would help please ask.

james_in_denver
7th April 2005, 01:28 AM
On your NFS server side, you need the actual files WITHIN the iso's, not the iso's themselves.....

You can do something like this "mkdir /data/network-install/ISO/FedoraDisk1; mount -o loop FC4-test1-ppc-disc1.iso /data/network-install/ISO/FedoraDisk1"

No sure how NFS will like a "mounted file system" under and exported file system, but I'm pretty sure you will be okay.

And of course, you will need to do the same with the other 3 install disks.....

paul_dundee
7th April 2005, 12:01 PM
On your NFS server side, you need the actual files WITHIN the iso's, not the iso's themselves.....

You can do something like this "mkdir /data/network-install/ISO/FedoraDisk1; mount -o loop FC4-test1-ppc-disc1.iso /data/network-install/ISO/FedoraDisk1"

No sure how NFS will like a "mounted file system" under and exported file system, but I'm pretty sure you will be okay.

And of course, you will need to do the same with the other 3 install disks.....

thanks, that's something i had already tried but never worked. i downloaded the fc3 install discs and mounted them - some good news, some bad news.

used boot.iso > linux text

Followed through, pointed nfs to /mnt/downloads/fedora_ppc/fc3/disc1

Anaconda started, but after 11% froze. There were mount messages at random intervals on the display, the last being about sysimage being successful.

Shutdown the ibook and had to leave for work. is this common, or should i just burn the discs?

I would prefer to use nfs, but will use discs if neccessary.

salpula
7th April 2005, 03:39 PM
thanks, that's something i had already tried but never worked. i downloaded the fc3 install discs and mounted them - some good news, some bad news. AN NFS install should work just fine on an ibook. . .or at least it does on mine. What iBook do you have?

used boot.iso > linux text

Followed through, pointed nfs to /mnt/downloads/fedora_ppc/fc3/disc1

Anaconda started, but after 11% froze. There were mount messages at random intervals on the display, the last being about sysimage being successful.

Shutdown the ibook and had to leave for work. is this common, or should i just burn the discs?

I would prefer to use nfs, but will use discs if neccessary.

use NFS its actually easier, just mount the discs and copy the files out of sharing the mounted discs over NFS is no good.

paul_dundee
7th April 2005, 04:03 PM
Will try that when i get home, thanks.

If i specify the share as /mnt/.../disc1 will anaconda know to then read disc2/disc3/disc4?

I thought perhaps it was hanging while looking for the contents of disc2.

thanks again.