PDA

View Full Version : Open Source Friendly Graphics Card

chiku31
31st March 2005, 10:07 AM
Had anyone read about the "Open Source Friendly Graphics Card" yet? If so, does anyone plan to get one when it is out? Here is the link to it in case some doesn't know what I am talking about.
http://kerneltrap.org/node/4622

wtogami
31st March 2005, 11:00 AM
I personally don't hold much hope for it. It usually takes serious commercial motivations to design something as complicated as that, and the only way hardware like this can be feasible is if hundreds of thousands are produced and sold for use on commodity Windows systems. The market for low-end graphics cards is already too saturated. This means that only a small number can be produced, and the price will be very high for little real benefit to those who buy it.

I personally think the Radeon 9200 (non-SE version) is the best card on the market for completely Open Source drivers, 3D acceleration, and cheap price. While the open hardware is nice in theory, it just wont work pragmatically.

imdeemvp
31st March 2005, 11:04 AM
Yes....a while back some one posted similiar info but I now think nvidia cards are becoming more linux friendly.

Jman
1st April 2005, 06:39 AM
Yes....a while back some one posted similiar info but I now think nvidia cards are becoming more linux friendly.
Yes but the accelerated nVidia drivers are not open and so do not come with Fedora.

Truthfatal
11th April 2005, 05:17 AM
The Open Graphics Project got a little mention in this months MaximumPC mag.

It looks like a good Idea, I'd probably buy one.