PDA

View Full Version : Gnome or KDE

ryan.overton
23rd March 2005, 02:35 AM
Which one is better? or more supported?? Are they pretty much the same?

Darkmage
23rd March 2005, 02:40 AM
Try both and you decide, it is a matter of opinion.

Trendkill
23rd March 2005, 03:49 AM
yeah exactly

personally, i used kde on a knoppix O/S for about a year, and now im using fedora core 3 with gnome, and personally, i am beginning to prefer gnome, it just feels more stable, imo.

but dont get me wrong, visually kde can look beautiful as well. either way, its not windows :)

Vinneh
23rd March 2005, 03:54 AM
I prefer gnome.. My favorite apps are gnome-based, and gnome can be rather purty.
however, as said, it's really a matter of preference

Woad_Warrior
24th March 2005, 12:01 AM
well, i guess i'll speak up for kde. :) but it really does break down to what you fell comfortable with. the default look on either is nothing special, and can always be changed. personaly i like some of the options in kde's filemanager better than gnome's. either way, you can use kde apps in gnome, and gnome apps in kde. try them both, (or even some of the other wm's available) and see which has the features you want most.

Vinneh
24th March 2005, 12:11 AM
either way, you can use kde apps in gnome, and gnome apps in kde.
You can, but their load times can be enormous

rega451
24th March 2005, 12:24 AM
Take a look at the poll results in this thread: http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47774

ReapCorp
24th March 2005, 05:04 AM
I have used KDE, liked it, specially the zooming icons and the whole transparent feature. Then i reinstalled FC3 and left it the way it was, even though Gnome looks plain and boring I like its features. Specially when I put in a cd you can automatically see it, and when I plug in my flash drive an icon appears on the desktop, which does not happen in KDE, unless you set it up. But now i love GNOME and will stick with it, even though it looks boring you can always download themes
http://www.gnome-look.org

golding
24th March 2005, 05:30 AM
yeah exactly

personally, i used kde on a knoppix O/S for about a year, and now im using fedora core 3 with gnome, and personally, i am beginning to prefer gnome, it just feels more stable, imo.

but dont get me wrong, visually kde can look beautiful as well. either way, its not windows :)
Windows it may not be, however, KDE looks and feels too much akin to MS Windows for my tastes. Very limiting in my view. Gnome, on the other hand, looks too similar to the old 3.1 days of Dashboard ..... yuk.

I tend to not use either Gnome or KDE, prefering instead to use another WM, and then using whichever app I like best for the task at hand.

Currently that is Enlightenment, as it delivers apps from both QT and GTK without any hiccups at all. It even allows KDE's sound daemon (Arts?) to interact with esound without loss to either system. Also load times for any of the apps are minimal, around the same as the native environment.

I used to use AfterStep on one box and WindowManager on the other, but both have failed to progress any further since then.

BTW, why is window shading being removed from so many WM's these days? I personally prefer it to minimising, etc. Of course, in E you have an almost unlimited number of virtual desktops if you wish (8x8x32=2048 more than enough).

artur
24th March 2005, 05:32 AM
Gnome's big fan here. I think it's much simpler and not overcluttered with extras for better looks. But true, KDE might seem cool too. Again, that I guess is a matter of preference.

Jman
24th March 2005, 05:36 AM
Gnome's the default for Fedora, and I like it.