PDA

View Full Version : Display configuration

twins.fan
22nd March 2005, 05:22 PM
After changing the display configuration in "System Settings > Display", and rebooting the machine, what do I need to do to have my desktop use those settings?

Thanks - twins.fan

prashant
22nd March 2005, 05:57 PM
ya ,
once u enter the display setting then u will hav eto choose ur monitor type and then choose the resolution for the dispaly after that u can rebbot ur computer and the changes will take effect on their on u dont need to do anything except rebooting ur comp

twins.fan
22nd March 2005, 06:48 PM
Well I did that and the changes have not taken effect.

twins.fan

CrystalCowboy
22nd March 2005, 09:47 PM
A reboot should have done it.

Go into Sytem Settings > Display again and see if it has the new values or old. You can take a look at the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to see what's in there. The log file for X windows is /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you can't figure it out, give us more details; what distribution and kernel, which xorg version, what the setting were and what you tried to change them too, and any interesting error messages from the log file.

dorian
22nd March 2005, 11:40 PM
Hi,

become root and go to /etc/X11/, there is a file called xorg.conf. The GUI changes this file, so have a look at it after you reconfigured your Xserver and after the restart of the Xserver (if there were problems fedora might change the file to get a useable config for your Xserver). If there are changes from your reconfiguration in there, your Xserver will try to use them with the next start. For safety purposes just log of you Gnome/KDE Session into the Login-Scren and press "shift, ctrl and backspace" this restarts your Xserver (and it will reconfigure itself). Rebooting is the Windows way of doing things, in linux you should only be forced to reboot your system if you change kernel (even that can be done in runtime i think, but haven't checked that).

If your setting did not change for the next X-Session, there should be output in your X-log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log). Here you look up which entry caused your Xserver to ignore your new configuration, to be able to start a new Xserver. This is a rescue setting for X to be able to start even though something was not configured correctly.

Hope that helps.
Dorian