PDA

View Full Version : apt-get update problem

raghavendra
22nd March 2005, 06:14 AM
Hi
I am trying to update apt-get from 3 days but getting the same thing

Failed to fetch ftp://apt.nc.hcc.edu.tw/pub/apt/fedora/linux/3/i386/base/pkglist.os Data socket timed out
Failed to fetch ftp://apt.nc.hcc.edu.tw/pub/apt/fedora/linux/3/i386/base/pkglist.updates Data socket timed out
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Because of which I am unable to upgrade most of the packaged. Please help :confused:

sgtbob
22nd March 2005, 03:10 PM
I'm not sure if this will help, but I had some initial problems with apt also. I did a google to apt and downloaded, and also googled and then downloaded synaptic'. I think both are needed - I may be wrong on this, but after I got both programs, it worked super. When I did the rpm install on both, I was able to see 'synaptic package' under System Tools - after that, all I had to do was use the 'reload' feature, which checked all the repositores (even added a few of my own), 'marked' the upgrade feature and apt/synaptic took care of the rest.

Hope this helps, I am complete 'noob' at this.

Bob

Javaguy78
22nd March 2005, 03:29 PM
If you are running FC3, then I have a similar situation. In one of my previous posts (which is still unanswered) I couldn't get the computer to see the network using DHCP... dunno why..

Anyways, I used to get the same messages when I would run because it was trying to fetch the data from something like 197.0.0.2 (or something like that). I had to run ping ayo.freshrpms.net before running apt-get update to get it to resolve properly... I don't know why, but this helped me.

Good luck!