PDA

View Full Version : No sound: mic not working

GrahamB
22nd March 2005, 04:06 AM
Hi All!

On my client machine (PC), I have installed Skype the Voice-over-IP facility. Skype seems to work fine.

Problem: I can hear the person that I am calling. But, the other person cannot hear me. Basically: I cannot use the microphone.

What could be wrong. Can you help me?

Some further information:

1) I am using headphones. The green and pink jacks are in their matching coloured slots. I listen to music over the headphones. All features like balance, treble and bass work well.

2) After using "alsamixer", saving the values with "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" gives this error message:
- /usr/sbin/alsactl: relocation error: /usr/sbin/alsactl: symbol snd_ctl_elem_info_is_user, version ALSA_0.9 not defined in file libasound.so.2 with link time reference.

What significance does this relocation message have?

3) I have used alsamixer, kmix and aumix, to view aspects from different angles. I have opened and moved the volume uo to about 50% for the following: phone, mic, CD, line, master, headphone, bass and treble, PCM, PC Speaker, AC97. Note: I have disabled the onboard, AC97 sound function.

4) I get a lot of blocked traceroutes when the my Skype-partner calls me. These are incoming. For example:
- Time: Mar 21 19:12:11 Source: 216.58.97.1 Destination: 192.168.0.2 In IF: eth0 Out IF: Port: 33436 Length: 56 ToS: 0x00 Protocol: ICMP Service: Traceroute

Would this firewall blocking have anything to do with my sound not getting out to my phone-partner? Wouldn't these be outgoing? If so, my firewall has no blocks on outgoing traffic.

Look forward to your replies. Thanks.

GrahamB
22nd March 2005, 02:52 PM
Hi again!

I got this private mail form L0t3k.

Mic Problem
I had a mic problem with skype too. Turned out it was because I have a motherboard with built in 5.1 surround. I had to modify a file in /etc to define one of the three ports as a mic port properly. I wish I could remember which. If you get a similar answer in the forums and it works, let me know.

Does it prompt any ideas? Which file could it be in /etc?

GrahamB

sgtbob
22nd March 2005, 08:47 PM
Check the mike button in the sound setup - it might be checked/unchecked and prevent tranx. Remote possibility - but...........

GrahamB
23rd March 2005, 02:27 PM
Hi Sgtbob!

Check the mike button in the sound setup - it might be checked/unchecked and prevent tranx. Remote possibility - but...........

I dont really understand what you mean by the "sound setup" :confused: . Please explain.

in kmix, on the tab "Input" the Headphone, Mic and Mic booster are on. On=the green LED is bright.

But curiously, at the bottom of the slider for the mic, the red LED is bright. Does this mean, the streamer channels are not working.

Further investigation: when running "gnome-sound-recorder --gst-debug-level=3" in debug-mode from the command line, I get: "Segmentation fault" as the gstreamer function sets the state from PAUSED to PLAYING.

The other problems with "alsactl store" have been solved by a reinstall and recompile of alsa-1.0.8.

Look forward to any other ideas you may have.
Thanks

sailor
23rd March 2005, 04:20 PM
You may want to look at this similar thread:
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44253&highlight=TeamSpeak

I had similar problem with TeamSpeak using KDE, in the mixer the "capture" setting needs to be enabled...it is the last setting in Kmix.

GrahamB
25th March 2005, 09:17 PM
I had similar problem with TeamSpeak using KDE, in the mixer the "capture" setting needs to be enabled...it is the last setting in Kmix.

Hi All!

This has been a long trial and error story! I do not know what change actually resolved the problem. But. this is what I did, anyway:-

1) Made sure my Capture slider was on, as recommended by sailor.
2) The "Segmentation fault" when running "gnome-sound-recorder", etc, suggested that my sound and alsa-utils were somehow corrupted, requiring a deinstall and reinstall. Steps: first rpm -Uvh alsq-utils-<older-version-from-my-CD>, second rpm -Uvh system-config-soundcard-<base-version-from-my-CD>, and finally the re-install of alsa-utils-1.0.8.

Though I messed about with my firewall, and attempted to record thru the mic, I feel that getting rid of the corruption was key.

Thanks all for your support. :)

wtogami
26th March 2005, 02:44 AM
- /usr/sbin/alsactl: relocation error: /usr/sbin/alsactl: symbol snd_ctl_elem_info_is_user, version ALSA_0.9 not defined in file libasound.so.2 with link time reference.

What distribution is this? Is this pure FC2, FC3 or FC4, or a weird mix? Are you using third party repositories that have overridden the kernel or alsa* packages with unsupported replacements?