PDA

View Full Version : FC4 on PPC

kingcrowing
22nd March 2005, 03:07 AM
i just downloaded the FC4 test DVD for PPC, i burned the ISO onto DVD, and i can't boot from it, do i need a seperate boot CD like with FC3? i've got a whole seperate HD for it. i have a 933MHz G4 Quicksilver '02

salpula
22nd March 2005, 08:44 AM
There is a boot.iso in images/mac/boot.iso I think. . .I helped someone today who couldn't get it to boot the DVD so you may have some trouble(I don't know that everyone will have the problem). If you can I would suggest trying to do an NFS install with the iso extracted.

kingcrowing
23rd March 2005, 01:33 AM
OK, i booted from the boot.iso, and i checked the DVD, it passed, then i got this error after anaconda started:
mini-wm: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server :1.0.
aye! whats up?

salpula
23rd March 2005, 05:36 PM
OK, i booted from the boot.iso, and i checked the DVD, it passed, then i got this error after anaconda started:
mini-wm: Fatal IO error 104 (connection reset by peer) on X server :1.0.
aye! whats up?

Well you might have to boot the boot image from you hard drive (copy the vmlinuz and the ramdisk image to your boot folder and make a yaboot entry like you would any other kernel), extract the dvd on another linux box to a folder that is shared over NFS, boot the yaboot entry it asks you what method to install choose NFS and point it at the other server.

That may do it but Laking I beleive needed to extract CD1 as well into that folder and over write a couple files before it worked properly. . .

I just wish the boot media frickin worked

Sal