PDA

View Full Version : how to resize a reiserfs partition?

BoHu
22nd March 2005, 01:10 AM
I am going back to Windows 2K but first I must get my data off the reiserfs partition and onto something that Windows can read (fat32).

My setup is this:

10GB hda with root,usr, & swap.
40GB hdb with /home
(all partitions are reiserfs)

I need to shrink the 40GB reiserfs /home partition down to about 5GB and create a fat32 partition in the empty space. Then I can move my data and remove the reiserfs partition.

Once I have Win2k installed on the 10gb hda I can use Partition Magic to finish moving things around the way I want.

But how do I resize a reiserfs partition with Linux? Or maybe it would be easier to burn all my stuff on CD-R and let the win2k CD wipe both drives?

onewheelskyward
22nd March 2005, 02:09 AM
A quick google turned up this message:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-lvm/2001-November/msg00291.html

Good luck!

BoHu
22nd March 2005, 02:23 AM
I was afraid of that :-/
Looks like it is time to back up /home on CD-R (always a good idea anyway).

ghaefb
22nd March 2005, 10:01 AM
I think you can resize with System rescue CD.
With QTParted program.
www.sysresccd.org

onewheelskyward
22nd March 2005, 07:14 PM
I was afraid of that :-/
Looks like it is time to back up /home on CD-R (always a good idea anyway).

Wait, you can actually resize it. The part about deleting the partition doesn't mean you lose the data. It means you need to resize the filesystem, and then recreate the partition boundaries using fdisk. It is possible to do this without losing data. I have done it successfully with NTFS (using Linux tools) a number of times.

Then again, you should have a backup before you do it anyhow, at which point you're done. :) Anyway. Just wanted to let you know all is not lost.