PDA

View Full Version : The real speed..........

blinksilver
22nd March 2005, 12:41 AM
this seems interesting enough, how much faster is the 64bit version of fedora 4 if you have to install so much 32bit stuff, i mean firefox, flash, openoffice, mplayer, the list embodies the most important parts of day to day use in a linux OS, so what is the speed bump, if it really even exists???

EDIT:Forgot this originally, i would bet a fair bit of money that 64 bit java does not work with 32bit firefox, so there is another big one

james_in_denver
22nd March 2005, 01:09 AM
Depends on the specific packages etc. You can build Openoffice, firefox, mplayer, xine, etc from source, to use 64 bit.

I haven't installed the 64 bit version on my laptop yet, probably do that later this week and I will let you know how much faster they are....

blinksilver
22nd March 2005, 01:13 AM
if you cam compile openoffice on a 64bit you are the smartest man i know, even gentoo uses a 32bit lib, it just can't be done, yes firefox can, but flash can't and java is REALLY hard, mplayer is fine and good in 64bit, but then there is no real and windows media support, for a box to be functional there needs to be 32bit apps, a whole load of them

blinksilver
22nd March 2005, 01:17 AM
i run 64bit ubuntu with 64bit firefox/ gpl flash (barely works), 1.5.0 java on a 1.4.2 plugin in, OOo with 32bit libs, and no real or windows media support, never tried it with 3bit, but was wondering, going to use fedora, because of the seamless ability to use 32bit apps, without a manual chroot

egr
22nd March 2005, 01:18 AM
Well 64-bit processor should be faster, but all depends on operations that your computer will do, just some big number operations take double time on 32bit processor then 64... I think

blinksilver
22nd March 2005, 01:20 AM
it is actually more like 8 times faster (for a 64bit int, 2^63 vs 2^31), but that does not mean the 32bit apps will take advanage of that, the kernel and most the os does, but how much of an improvement does it make, thanks for the replies just the same, :)

blinksilver
22nd March 2005, 02:06 AM
did some research, results are a mixed bag for pure systems, if there mixed it means even less of a boost

http://www.linuxhardware.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/24/1747228&mode=nocomment

bionic_trout
22nd March 2005, 02:23 AM
What about for common server applications like Apache or databases? Does anyone know if there is a performance increase there? (Any benchmark links would be appreciated...)

Kenotic
22nd March 2005, 04:32 AM
The biggest thing you are going to see from 64bit is memory space. In 32 bit you can only address 2gigs for each proc in 64 I believe it is 8 gigs, but it may only be 4. Now what does that mean on the desktop? Not much. There are some things that take advantage of the 64 bit, but most do not and there is no need for them to. This is the case with a web browser. If it needs more then 2 gigs of ram something is wrong. Also it should never need to crunch data that would take advantage.

james_in_denver
22nd March 2005, 04:46 AM
Hmm, I am running Openoffice.org 2.0 (beta) and I swear I saw references to a 64 bit source/build????

(yes I know it's not available in 1.x, why port it twice when 1.x will be obsoleted next month).

Also for Databases etc, a compiled 64 bit db (Postgres, MySQL) will still be faster, twice the data per fetch.

blinksilver
22nd March 2005, 11:34 AM
really, maybe, i will give it a look when i hit fc4 today