PDA

View Full Version : USB flash disk

rnsathish
21st March 2005, 09:51 PM
dear all,
i am new to Linux , i have fedora core 3 installed in my mechine. its realy user frendily. but i am facing problem using USB 1.0 GB mini drive ( flash disk). when i insert the USB it automatically mounts , icon apears in the destop. its working properly but when i unmount the drive light indicator in pen drive dose not stop but it is unmounted. i was told that if i remove the USB drive wothout stoping the light indicator it may result in system or USB drive crash.
can anybudy help me in this regard? what should i do now , every time i shutdown the computer and then remove the usb drive.
thanku in advance.

sathish

jamdusr
22nd March 2005, 04:11 AM
If I am understanding your question you are concerned because the light on your usb drive stays on after it is
unmounted. The light goes on when you insert the drive-it isn't mounted then either.
I believe the light indicates that there is power to the usb port, and nothing else. It doesn't indicate if the device is mounted or not. So if the device is unmounted (as you stated) then it is ok to remove it. Hope this helps.

rnsathish
22nd March 2005, 08:10 AM
thanku for ur reply
yes as you said light goes on imediately when i plug in the drive.
i am woried about the light. because, manual says that "before plug out the drive, one has to stop the light. otherwise it may result in system crash". In windows i do that by "safely remove the hardware" from taskbar and then stop it.
Is there any way to stop the light?