PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Frequency to High

Sipherx
21st March 2005, 03:08 PM
Hey first off I would like to mention I am only 2 days old in the linux world, so please make sure if you reply to this post, make sure you break it down in understandable terms lol.

Okay here is what happened, I setup FC3 on my monitor at home, and it was all fine over there, but then I brought it over here to work, and the monitor over here sucks, and now the monitor says "OUT OF FREQUENCY RANGE" "PLEASE CHANGE THE SETTINGS ON YOUR PC" which I would do, problem is... I cant see to do it. So can someone tell me how to do it? Thanks alot

Willem Jacobuss
21st March 2005, 03:21 PM
What i did in a similar case is take it back and connect to the old monitor, so u can see at least! then u need to edit XF86Config

Look for the lines

HorizSync
VertRefresh

Make sure that these values are within the range of your monitor

That will allow u to see things on your office monitor

It may need some tuning after but, but at least u shd see something!!

Sipherx
21st March 2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks for helpin me out... I was hoping to be able to fix it here at the office, but.. I guess I will have to wait.

Willem Jacobuss
21st March 2005, 03:41 PM
i just doublechecked:

the file to edit is /etc/X11/xorg.conf

U might be in luck if u have a monitor in the office that can handle the higher frequencies, if u can borrow it for a few minutes!

Sipherx
21st March 2005, 03:48 PM
i just doublechecked:

the file to edit is /etc/X11/xorg.conf

U might be in luck if u have a monitor in the office that can handle the higher frequencies, if u can borrow it for a few minutes!

Yeah I just checked around the office, and none of the monitors work around here. But you guys are telling me to edit a file... canI edit this file without going in KDE or doing it through a terminal of some sort? And if I cant... can't I just change the frequency range when I get home through KDE?

Sipherx
21st March 2005, 03:49 PM
Heh, I thought two people had replied.. My mistake only one.

Willem Jacobuss
21st March 2005, 04:30 PM
Not sure abt being able to change without editing, but u can always try! You might consider to take the designated monitor home with you for testing purposes.

Editing is not as daunting as it sounds, and yes it can be done from any text editor, including the ones that come with KDE. I am not sure however when the changes take effect, so i wld rather do it from the command prompt.

Ctrl-Alt-F1 will bring u to a text only screen

Ctrl-Alt-F7 will bring u back to Xwindows

Sipherx
21st March 2005, 06:01 PM
Alright here is what I did, I brought up the command prompt.. and I opend up the xorg.conf file then I Changed my refresh settings.. saved the file rebooted. and PRESTO! it worked. Thanks