PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Linux File System.

BoomerFZ1
21st March 2005, 02:17 PM
I'm getting ready to flop Fedora on one of my two drives. However, all my media and files are on the slave drive and it's formated NTFS. I'm in the process of moving everything off that drive and reformatting but what file system should I use? Fat32?

raghavendra
21st March 2005, 02:19 PM
Hi
You can use ext3 or reiserfs...........but I would recommend ext3 for starters.

jtang613
21st March 2005, 02:31 PM
The options for filesystems on Fedora include: ext3, reiserfs, xfs and jfs.

ext3 is the default filesystem for Fedora. Other filesystems must be declared at the installation boot prompt (ie: linux xfs). Many veteran users choose to use one of the other filesystem due to minor performance inhancements. I use XFS because it has all the performance of reiserfs, but maintains the selinux compatibility of ext3.

Jason

BoomerFZ1
21st March 2005, 02:47 PM
I have everything on one of my two 80gb drives which has Windows XP right now. How can I format that second drive with the xfs file system? Is there a utility I can use?

ilja
21st March 2005, 02:48 PM
fdisk or during the install with anaconda
(i merged the two threads)

jtang613
21st March 2005, 03:00 PM
When you install Fedora, you will be presented with a 'boot' prompt at the very beginning of the installation. If you want to use XFS, you need to tell the installer (anaconda). You do this by typing 'linux xfs' at the prompt. Likewise, if you wanted to use reiserfs, you would type 'linux reiserfs' -- if you wanted to use a combination of xfs and jfs, you would type 'linux xfs jfs'.

This also requires that you choose to 'Manually Partition' your drives when prompted during the installation. If you haven't installed Linux before, I suggest searching this forum for installation and partition-related info.

Jason

BoomerFZ1
21st March 2005, 03:12 PM
But I can't install Fedora until I make the secondary drive something Fedora can use. So I need to format that drive with the appropriate file system, move all my files onto it, and THEN install Fedora on the primary drive. What can I use before I remove XP to accomplish this?

jtang613
21st March 2005, 05:03 PM
You haven't been very clear about what you are trying to accomplish. Is it your intention to replace WindowsXP with Fedora? If so, you can use FAT32 to store your media files on your secondary drive. Linux can mount FAT32 drives. Actually it can also mount NTFS drives - but Fedora requires additional steps to enable this. Once you have Fedora installed, then you can change that partition to xfs (or whatever) if you choose.

Jason

BoomerFZ1
21st March 2005, 06:34 PM
Thanks Jason...sorry I wasn't too clear. I'm going full on Fedora...head first. Your comments helps.

Sipherx
21st March 2005, 07:03 PM
Boomer, are u pretty new to the linux scene? If so, I would think twice about fully converting over, unless you know the risks, like some hardware not being supported, most all your applications u were used to on windows probably wont work fully or at all on linux. I am very new at linux, I am just suggesting you think twice about fully converting over. But hey I cant stop you from doing what you wanna do, just a thought....

Sipherx
21st March 2005, 07:04 PM
Oh by the way, I am not saying linux sucks or anything, in fact I am fully converting over for work purposes. Fedora ROCKS!!

BoomerFZ1
21st March 2005, 07:30 PM
The only thing that worries me is my iPod but there are numerous instructionals out there.