PDA

View Full Version : Why can't (KDE) Konqueror render image thumbnails?

Alfred
21st March 2005, 06:40 AM
I have a large collection of digital images (as I suspect most people do nowadays). When I click on a folder in Konqueror it shows me thumbnails of perhaps 5% of all my images - the rest are simply icons. Why is this? This was happening in KDE 3.3 and now again in KDE 3.4 - perhaps you know something I don't (I hope). Please let me know.

TheCowGod
21st March 2005, 08:20 AM
My Gnome does that sometimes too, only its the first 5% or so that have thumbnails instead of random ones like yours. I have no idea why though.
LOL sorry for being of no help what-so-ever :rolleyes:

Alfred
25th March 2005, 05:18 PM
I found the solution.

I'm using KDE 3.4 - but it should be similar in KDE 3.3. Open Konqueror. Go to Settings - Configure Konqueror. Select the "Previews & Meta-Data" module. By default it is set to create thumbnails of images up to 1 MB. Select something different (I selected 10 MB). Click Apply. Voila - I have thumbnails for all my images in a given directory.

I would imagine there is a similar option in Gnome (Nautilius) but you'll have to look.

Cheers,

Ug
25th March 2005, 06:48 PM
Don't forget that all Thumbnails are created and left in a hidden directory in each folder. That can add up to quite a lot of space.

samwyse
25th March 2005, 06:57 PM
Don't forget that all Thumbnails are created and left in a hidden directory in each folder.
Actually they are saved in ~/.thumbnails not in each folder.