PDA

View Full Version : Unable to startup with new kernel

PapaNoHair
21st March 2005, 04:18 AM
Just installed Fedora for the first time and it installed a new kernel (10.xx). When I start up Fedora it gives me a choice between the old and the new kernel, but I am unable to open with the new kernel - it stops at the very beginning talking about hardware detection. If I chose the old kernel it boots up fine. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

james_in_denver
21st March 2005, 05:29 AM
Yes, you made a configuration error in your new kernel (don't worry, the first time or two can be a little difficult understanding how all the pieces fit together)....

do you have "filesystems" "ext3" compiled in (not as a module)??????

Any other hardware on your box your forgot to enable in your kernel configuration???

can you post ALL of your hardware specs and attach the file "/usr/src/yourkernelsourcehere/.config" file??

PapaNoHair
21st March 2005, 03:54 PM
Yes, you made a configuration error in your new kernel (don't worry, the first time or two can be a little difficult understanding how all the pieces fit together)....

do you have "filesystems" "ext3" compiled in (not as a module)??????

Any other hardware on your box your forgot to enable in your kernel configuration???

can you post ALL of your hardware specs and attach the file "/usr/src/yourkernelsourcehere/.config" file??

Forgive me but this is my first time with Fedora: re question #1 (i.e., do you have filesystems, ....) I am sorry but I don't even understand the question. I did not compile anything. When the system upgraded (initial installation) it upgraded the kernel. I assume by your question there is some process I need to go thru for it to work? Same answer to question #2 - apparently I need to configure the new kernel (do I do that while using the old kernel? I went to /usr/src and there is nothing there.

awdac
21st March 2005, 04:05 PM
Well, if you mean that you just yum upgraded the kernel or up2date'd it or whatever, then you really *shouldn't* have to do any configuration changes. Normally, you just reboot and let the new kernel take over.

It does happen occasionally that new kernels don't get along with your hardware--that's why there's the choice to boot into an old kernel by default. The option is yours whether you want to try to fix the new kernel, or just use the old one until a new update comes out. Although it's good security prcatice to update the kernel when there are new security fixes, it is not necessary to upgrade in other circumstances if all else is working on an older kernel. Do you need something from the new kernel?

HTH.

PapaNoHair
21st March 2005, 04:26 PM
Do you need something from the new kernel?

HTH.

Not that I know of, but I appreciate the help and advice. Everything seems to work ok - only problem I have encountered was when I tried to upload from a CD some files and on the .jpg's it took forever (everything else is very, veyr fast). I do have NVIDEA so don't know if that makes a difference or not. Again - thanks for your patience and help.

awdac
21st March 2005, 04:34 PM
I don't use Nvidia stuff myself (and haven't ever, for that matter) so I'm not gonna be much help there, but generally when you have issues, it's good to update the individual applications that seem to be having problems before jumping to a kernel upgrade, unless it's a major security release or you have reason to believe that it is the best way to fix the particular issues you're having (and sometimes it is).

If you're trying to find out why it's slow for certain things, try posting more information. The location for general system log messages is /var/log/messages. It's a good place to start looking for things that may be wrong.

jim
21st March 2005, 04:34 PM
Your nvidia card is causing the issue here you'll need a kernel module for the nvidia card to match the new kernel version.
follow this post to see if it is helpful
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26260

Clunixchit
21st March 2005, 06:53 PM
im having the same problem.
but im using packard bell laptop
id phone PB, they said that i hav removed the fingerprint in the hardisk during the linux installation
now im waiting for the master cds 61

PapaNoHair
22nd March 2005, 05:02 AM
Your nvidia card is causing the issue here you'll need a kernel module for the nvidia card to match the new kernel version.
follow this post to see if it is helpful
http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26260

Thanks! Will give that a try!